Baked Za’atar Tofu is not lacking in flavor! Tofu is marinated in fresh lemon juice, olive oil, lots of garlic and za’atar.
what is za’atar?
Za’atar is a very popular Middle Eastern spice blend.
The spice mix can vary depending on what region of the Middle East. It is usually made with thyme, sesame seeds, and sumac. It can also have marjoram and oregano.
You can definitely make your own Za’atar spice blend, but it’s readily available at grocery stores and online.
Trader Joe’s even started carrying their own za’atar spice blend!
how to make za’atar tofu
First you want to press the tofu to remove any excess liquid.
After the tofu is done pressing, slice it into eight equal pieces.
Za’atar Marinade Ingredients
When the tofu is pressing, prep the marinade.
I like to add all of the marinade ingredients into the dish that I’ll be using to marinate the tofu. I recently got this Ello 8 X 8 baking dish and I am obessed with it!
To your dish, add the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and za’atar. Whisk to combine.
Add the sliced tofu to the pan, coating both sides with the marinate.
I like bake the tofu in the oven for 45 minutes, flipping half way through.
how long to marinate the tofu
When I first made this recipe, I let the tofu marinate overnight in the refrigerator. When happen was that the olive oil solidified.
When the tofu baked, it marinade didn’t coat all of the tofu since it solidified together.
I recommend marinating the tofu for at least one hour, but not overnight.
Marinating the za’atar tofu for at least an hour will infuse the tofu with lots of flavor
what to serve with the tofu
I love serving rice and some sort of vegetable alongside the Za’atar tofu. Lately, I have been loving roasted asparagus.
Also, these roasted za’zatar potatoes would be delicious served with the tofu too!
more tofu recipes to check out!
If you make this recipe, be sure to tag us on Instagram. We love seeing what you are making.
- 1 Package 14-16 ounces Extra Firm Tofu
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Lemon Juice
- 4 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 3 Tablespoons Za'atar
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Use the tofu press to press the tofu for 30 minutes to an hour.
- When the tofu is pressing, make the marinade. To a baking dish or pan, add the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, za'atar, salt and pepper to taste. Whisk to combine.
- After the tofu is done pressing, slice into 8 equal pieces.
- Coat both sides of the tofu in the marinade. Marinate the tofu for at least an hour.
- After the tofu is done marinating, transfer tofu slices to a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Place the marinated tofu slices on the cookie sheet. Bake for 45 minutes, flipping the tofu halfway through the cooking time.
- Serve and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1456Total Fat: 98gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 75gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 270mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 17gSugar: 12gProtein: 159g
The nutrition facts are just an estimate for each serving.