This vegan cheesy broccoli and orzo one pot dish is creamy, dairy-free and takes just like broccoli and cheese soup.
Just because you can't have dairy, doesn't mean you have to sacrifice cheesy recipes. There are so many great dairy-free cheesy options on the market today.
This vegan broccoli and orzo recipe is very kid-friendly. My toddler loved it so much and he asked for seconds. Broccoli is his favorite vegetable so I am always looking for new recipes where I can add broccoli.
This orzo recipe is packed full of vegetables and a great way to get to your kids to eat more veggies.
This vegan cheesy orzo with broccoli is a comforting dish that combines orzo pasta, broccoli, and a creamy dairy-free vegan cheese sauce.
What is Orzo
Orzo is a type of pasta that looks similar to rice, but is actually pasta. It is a 'pastina' (little pasta) shaped like grains of rice.
Orzo isn't the same as rice. The small pasta is made from wheat flour and isn't gluten-free.
Olive Oil- I like to use olive oil to sauté the vegetables.
Onion and Garlic- for aromatics, yellow onion and fresh minced garlic are sautéed in olive oil before adding the orzo.
Carrots- I like to grate the carrots so they are small and toddler-friendly. You could also use pre-shredded carrots from the grocery store if you are short on time.
Orzo- Since orzo is on the smaller size, you can cook it in the same pot as the other ingredients.
Broth- For extra flavor I like using the Better than Bouillon No-Chicken base.
Broccoli- Fresh chopped broccoli is added towards the end of the cooking time.
Plant Milk- To create a creamy cheesy orzo, use an unsweetened plant milk. You just want to avoid using a sweetened vanilla flavored milk. That will make the orzo too sweet.
Vegan Cheese- Shredded vegan cheddar cheese, creates a cheesy orzo dish.
save this recipe for later
Want to save Cheesy Vegan Orzo With Broccoli for another time? No problem!
You can pin any image on this page or use the pins that I have saved to my Pinterest boards.
For a printable recipe option, you can scroll down to the bottom of this post and print the printable recipe card.
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion, diced
- 3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 Cup Shredded Carrots
- 1 Cup Orzo
- 2 Cups Vegetable Broth, I like the no-chicken Better than Bouillon
- 2 Cups Finely Chopped Broccoli
- 1 Cup Unsweetened Plant Milk
- 1 Cup Shredded Vegan Cheddar Cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large deep pot, I like using a dutch oven, over medium heat. Once hot, add onion and a pinch of salt and cook for 4-6 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and shredded carrots and cook for another few minutes, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the dry orzo and the broth and stir. Once the orzo is simmering, put the lid on and let cook for about 6 minutes.
- Remove the lid and add broccoli and milk and stir once. Put the lid back on and let cook for 4-5 more minutes or until the pasta is al dente and the broccoli is tender.
- Add the vegan cheese and stir. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 370Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 55mgSodium: 824mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 4gSugar: 8gProtein: 20g
Nutrition information is just an estimate per serving.