This colorful Creamy Vegan Beet Pasta is perfect for pasta night!
Adding roasted beets to the pasta sauce add an extra serving of vegetables. Plus the color is just gorgeous.
This beet pasta sauce is so easy to make because we are using precooked beets. I love keeping Love Beets precooked beets in the fridge. You can always roast the beets yourself, but I just love the convenience of using the precooked beets. It makes pasta night so much easier.
This vegan beet pasta is also a great way to sneak in vegetables for kids. My little one loves this pasta recipe. Kids will love the fun color of the pasta.
To create a creamy dairy-free pasta sauce, soaked raw cashews are blended with the beets. The most time consuming part about the recipe is soaking the cashews. Soaking the cashews makes them easier to blend.
The pasta sauce can be made while the pasta cooks. I love that the pasta sauce is made right in the blender.
Ingredients for beet pasta:
- Pasta- for this beet pasta I like to use farfalle pasta, but you can use your favorite pasta.
- Cooked beets- Use one package of precooked beets for the pasta sauce. You'll need about 3 small beets or 1 large beet if you are roasting the beets yourself.
- Lemon- For a burst of bright flavor, we are using both the lemon zest and juice of a lemon in the beet pasta sauce.
- Onion and garlic- For our aromatics, sautéed onions and garlic are added to the sauce.
- Plant-Based Milk- I really love using an unsweetened soy milk, but you can use your favorite plant-based milk. You just want to make sure to use an unsweetened milk.
- Cashews- Soaked raw cashews help to create a creamy pasta sauce.
Soak the cashews- This step is really important because you want to cashews to be soft. This will create an ultra creamy pasta sauce without having to add any cream to the recipe.
Cook the pasta- Cook the pasta according to the package directions.
Blend the sauce- While the pasta is cooking, make the beet pasta sauce. Sauté the onion and garlic, then add it to the blender along with all of the other pasta sauce ingredients. Blend until smooth.
Once the pasta is cooked, add it to the beet pasta sauce.
how to store and reheat the pasta:
If you have leftover pasta, store the pasta in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
To reheat the pasta, add the pasta to a saucepan with a splash or two of non-dairy milk or water. The liquid will help to loosen up the pasta sauce. As the pasta sits in the refrigerator, it will absorb some of the pasta sauce.
more beet recipes to try:
- ½ Cup Raw Cashews
- 16 Ounces Farfalle Pasta
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Small Yellow Onion, diced
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 8.8 Ounce Package Cooked Beets, I really like using Love Beets
- 1 Cup Plant Milk, I like unsweetened soy milk
- Zest and juice one 1 Lemon
- ½ teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper
- Soak the cashews in water for at least 2 hours. Drain the cashews and add to a high speed blender. Set aside until needed.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt the water and cook the pasta according to the package direction.
- While the pasta is cooking, make the pasta sauce. In a skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 4-6 minutes or until translucent.
- Add the minced garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds to a minute. Turn off the heat and transfer the onions and garlic to the blender.
- To the blender, add the cooked beets, plant milk, lemon zest and lemon juice, salt and pepper. Blend until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Once the pasta is done cooking, drain the pasta and add back into the pot along with the blended beet pasta sauce.
- Serve and enjoy!
Prep time includes soaking the cashews.