Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tacos are perfect when you want to make a hearty, nourishing dinner. These budget-friendly, plant-based tacos take less than 30 minutes to make.
Tacos are always a great choice for dinner. Not only are tacos a crowd pleaser, they are easy to make and inexpensive to make.
Like most families, tacos are a staple in our house. They are customizable based on what is in season or what you have in your fridge and pantry.
One of my favorite flavor combinations is sweet potatoes and black beans together. The earthiness of the black beans paired with the natural sweetness of the potatoes is the perfect flavor combination.
For these Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tacos, we are taking a super market shortcut and using frozen diced sweet potatoes. This is such a game changer. I love keeping a few bags in on hand for quick and easy meals. I usually buy the frozen diced sweet potatoes at my local Aldi.
These vegan tacos are also really customizable based on what you have on hand. You can switch up the spices, use pinto beans instead of black beans and use your favorite vegetables.
what to serve with tacos
Some of my favorite dishes to serve with tacos would have to be any sort of rice. Not only is rice easy to make, it's very budget-friendly. Some of my favorite rice recipes are Chipotle White Rice, Instant Pot Mexican Red Rice and Cilantro Lime Rice.
If you are looking for an easy, budget-friendly taco recipe, give these sweet potato and black bean tacos a try. If you do, be sure to leave a comment and rating sharing how you liked them!
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large bell pepper, any color, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 10 ounces of frozen or cooked diced sweet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (15-ounce) can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- Tortillas, warmed for serving
- 1 large avocado pitted, peeled, and sliced
- Fresh cilantro chopped
- Lime Wedges
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, heat the oil and saute the onion and bell pepper for 4-6 minutes, until softened.
- Add garlic, chili powder, paprika and cumin and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the sweet potatoes; stir and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add in the black beans; stir and cook until the beans are heated about 2-3 minutes.
- Warm the tortillas before serving. Add some the the taco filling to the tortilla and top with avocado slices, cilantro and a squeeze of lime.
I like to buy the frozen diced sweet potatoes from Aldi.
Heat the tortillas by placing in a dry pan over medium heat for a few seconds, until soft and pliable.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 438Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 245mgCarbohydrates: 57gFiber: 15gSugar: 9gProtein: 11g
Nutrition information is just an estimate per serving.