Pumpkin Pasta is a warm, creamy savory fall inspired pasta recipe to make during the autumn season.
This creamy, dairy-free pasta is the perfect pasta to make during the fall season. Serve the pumpkin cream sauce over pasta. I like to use penne pasta, but you can use any type of pasta.
I always pick up a few extra cans of pumpkin during the fall to keep in the pantry. Pumpkin recipes just don't have to be for the fall. Canned pumpkin is very versatile and can be used in so many different recipes—including sweet and savory.
If you've never made pasta sauce with canned pumpkin, you have to give it a try if you are a pumpkin fan.
Pumpkin doesn't just have to be for sweet dishes. I love adding pumpkin to savory dishes. My slow cooker pumpkin chili is a fall staple and pumpkin is a welcomed addition to these fall inspired black bean burgers.
PUMPKIN PASTA SAUCE
To make the pasta sauce you'll need the following ingredients:
- Olive Oil
- Yellow Onion
- Fresh Sage
- Dry White Wine
- Vegetable Stock
- Canned Pumpkin
- Plant Milk
- Penne Pasta
For the non-dairy milk, choose a milk that isn't thin. I find almond milk can be a bit thin for pasta sauce. Full-fat coconut milk would be a great option as well as unsweetened soy milk or cashew milk.
The white wine adds a nice of acidity to the sauce. Adding a pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg adds a nice autumnal note to the sauce.
more pumpkin recipes to try:
- Pumpkin Jackfruit Curry- another great savory pumpkin recipe
- Apple Cider Pumpkin Oatmeal- pumpkin is good in oatmeal
- Vegan Pumpkin Cranberry Cornbread- a festive cornbread recipe
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Oatmeal- easy fall breakfast recipe
If you make this vegan pumpkin pasta recipe, leave a comment and let us know how it turned out!
Vegan Pumpkin Pasta
This creamy, dairy-free pumpkin pasta is perfect to make on during the fall.
- 1 Pound Penne Pasta
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Small Yellow Onion, diced
- 4 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Chopped Sage Leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1 Cup Dry White Wine
- 1 Cup Vegetable Stock
- 1 Cup Canned Pumpkin
- ½ Cup Plant Milk, unsweetened
- ⅛ Teaspoon Cinnamon
- ¼ Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt the water and cook the pasta according to the package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat a large, deep skillet over medium high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the pan and then the onion. Sauté 3 to 5 minutes until the onions are tender. Add in the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Now add in the sage and wine to the pan; stir. Cook until the wine reduces by half.
- Pour in the stock and pumpkin and stir to combine, stirring sauce until it comes to a bubble.
- Once the sauce is bubbling lower the heat, and stir in the cinnamon, nutmeg and plant milk. Just be sure to use an unsweetened milk.
- Cook the sauce for 10-15 minutes until it's slightly thickened.
- Return drained pasta to the pot you cooked it in. Pour the pumpkin sauce over pasta.
- Combine sauce and pasta and toss over low heat for 1 minute. Garnish the pasta with sage leaves.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 206Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 175mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 6g
Nutrition information is just an estimate per serving.
Leave a Reply