This recipe for easy Black Bean Pumpkin Burgers topped with a cilantro yogurt sauce has been on repeat in my house!
Lately, I’ve been on a big veggie burger kick. I realized that it had been a really long time sine I made any of type of veggie burger. It was time to change that!
For this vegan veggie burger recipe, I wanted the earthy black beans to shine.
These hearty and protein packed veggie burgers come together in less than 30 minutes.
what’s in the burgers
Black Beans- I believe that every good veggie burger needs to have some sort of bean. The beans add protein and fiber.
Old Fashioned Oats- Using rolled oats helps keep that burgers together.
Walnuts- I love walnuts because they are packed with omega-3 fatty acids. Walnuts also add a “meaty” like texture to the burgers.
Pumpkin– Canned pumpkin just doesn’t have to be for fall baking. Pumpkin adds moisture to the burgers. It also helps to bind the burgers.
I am always looking for more savory recipes to use canned pumpkin.
Onion– It’s hard for me to make any type of recipe without onions. The onions add freshness and helps to keep the burgers together.
Spices– To bump up the flavor in the black bean burgers, a combination of spices is added to the mix. I like adding chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin and garlic powder.
Cilantro– I love the pop of fresh cilantro. If you hate cilantro, you can use fresh parsley instead.
Yogurt Cilantro Sauce– This creamy vegan yogurt sauce tops the burgers. You just want to be sure to use unsweetened non-dairy yogurt.
I really like Forager’s Unsweetened Cashew Yogurt. I get it delivered in my weekly Imperfect Foods box.
how to serve the black bean burgers
I like to serve the Black Bean Pumpkin Burgers on a bun with some greens and the cilantro sauce.
can the burgers be made ahead of time?
Yes! I love making a batch of veggie burgers and enjoy throughout the week.
To reheat the burgers, you can reheat them in a nonstick skillet on the stove and heat until warm. You can also reheat them in the microwave as well.
The cilantro yogurt sauce can also be made ahead of time too.
If you give these Black Bean Pumpkin Burgers a try, be sure to leave a comment and rate the recipe!
- 1 15 ounce can Black Beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 Cup Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
- 3/4 Cup Walnuts
- 1/2 Cup Canned Pumpkin
- 1/2 Cup Yellow Onion, finely diced
- 1/2 Cup Cilantro, chopped
- 1 1/2 Tsp Chili Powder
- 1 Tsp Cumin
- 1 Tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 1/4 Tsp Sea Salt, or to taste
- Avocado Oil for cooking
Cilantro Yogurt Sauce
- 3/4 Cup Unsweetened Plain Vegan Yogurt
- 1/4 Cup Cilantro, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Lime Juice
- 1/2 Tsp Sea Salt
- Cilantro Yogurt Sauce
- In the bowl of a large food processor, add the beans, oats and walnuts. Pulse until everything has started to break down, but isn't pureed. You still want there to be some texture.
- To the food processor, add the pumpkin, onion, cilantro, spices and salt. Pulse until everything is combined.
- The mixture should form easily when packed together with your hands.
- Let the bean mixture rest for 10 minutes.
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat a drizzle of avocado oil over medium low heat.
- Form the burger mixture into 6 burgers, roughly 1/3 cup each.
- Once the pan is hot, cook the burgers 4-5 minutes on each side, or until browned. If they are browning too quickly, lower the heat.
- Make the cilantro yogurt sauce by mixing together the yogurt, cilantro, lime juice and salt in a small bowl.
- Serve the burgers on a bun with yogurt sauce and desired toppings.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 245Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 1001mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 8gSugar: 5gProtein: 11g
Nutrition facts are just an estimate.