Fall inspired Vegan Butternut Squash Pasta is a cozy pasta recipe highlighting seasonal fall squash.
Butternut squash is one of my favorite vegetables to cook with during the fall. It's so versatile and the squash really shines in this fall pasta recipe .
You only need a few ingredients to make this easy vegan pasta with butternut squash.
For this pasta recipe you'll need the following ingredients:
- Butternut squash- when choosing a butternut squash, you want to pick one that feels heavy in weight
- Olive Oil- the cooking liquid for the pasta
- Aromatics- yellow onion and fresh garlic are sautéed in the olive oil before adding the diced butternut squash
- Vegetable Broth- the butternut squash is braised in vegetable broth. You can also use water if you don't have any broth
- Vegan Butter- to create a rich, creamy pasta add in a little bit of vegan butter is added to the pasta and squash
- Vegan Parmesan Cheese- adding vegan parmesan pulls the whole pasta dish together. I really like Trader Joe's vegan parmesan and Violife parmesan
- Fresh Parsley- chopped fresh herbs brighten up the pasta
- Penne Pasta- I like to use penne pasta, but you could use your favorite pasta shape
how to make the pasta
First, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the penne pasta according to the package directions. Reserve some of the pasta cooking water before draining the pasta.
Meanwhile, in a large dutch oven or pot, heat the olive oil. Cook the onion until soft and translucent. Then add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
To the onion and garlic mixture, add in the diced butternut squash and broth.
Cook the butternut squash until is tender, about 15 minutes.
Once the pasta is done and the squash is tender, toss to combine.
Add in some of the reserved pasta cooking liquid, vegan butter and vegan parmesan cheese. Stir to evenly mix the pasta with butter and cheese.
This fall inspired butternut squash pasta is a hearty, cozy meatless option for pasta night.
more pasta recipes to try:
- 1 Pound Penne Pasta
- ¼ Cup Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion, diced
- 3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 Medium Butternut Squash, pepped and diced into about 2 inch pieces
- ¾ Cup Vegetable Broth or water
- 3 Tablespoons Vegan Butter, softened
- ½ Cup Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- ¼ Cup Fresh Parsley, chopped
- Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- 1. Bring a large pot of saltd water to a boil. Cook the pasta according to package directions. Before draining the cooked pastsa, reserve a cup of the cooking liquid. Drain the pasta and set aside.
- In a dutch oven or deep skillet, over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Once heated, add the onion and cook until softened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and and sauté 2 minutes until fragrent.
- Next add in the diced butternut squash and stock. Bring to a simmer and then cover. Cook until the squash is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Return the cooked pasta to the pot and add the squash mixture. Add in the vegan butter, Parmesan and parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add in a little of pasta water until the desired consistency is reached.
- Serve and enjoy.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 311Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 337mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 8g
Nutrition information is just an estimate per serving