Tex-Mex inspired Slow Cooker Vegan Stuffed Peppers are an easy main dish that's healthy, flavorful and a crowd pleaser.
Slow cooker dinners are always in rotation, especially these crockpot stuffed peppers with rice, black beans and tomatoes.
Even the next day the stuffed peppers taste amazing. I enjoyed reheating the leftovers for my lunch during the week. If you are looking for an all-in-one meal, stuffed peppers are a great choice.
You have your veggies, protein and carbs all in one dish. There is no need to make a bunch of extra sides for dinner.
The bell peppers are stuffed with a flavorful Tex-Mex inspired black bean and rice filling. I love the combination of black beans and rice together.
For the rice, I like to make a double batch of white rice in the Instant Pot the day before I plan on making the stuffed peppers.
I haven't tried making the rice and bean stuffed peppers with uncooked rice before. I don't think that the rice would be cooked all the way through.
How to make Stuffed Peppers
First, you'll want to cut the tops off the bell peppers. Carefully remove the ribs and seeds. Be careful not to break through the peppers.
In a large bowl combine the filling ingredients.
Stir to evenly combined the ingredients.
Place the bell peppers into the crockpot and add a little bit of water. The water will help the bell peppers steam.
Spoon the black bean and rice mixture into each pepper and fill to the top.
Cook on low for 5-6 hours or until the bell peppers are tender. You can also cook the stuffed peppers on high for 3-4 hours.
how to to serve the stuffed peppers
I like to serve the slow cooker vegan stuffed bell peppers with with fresh chopped cilantro, green onions and diced avocado.
For a little extra heat, top the stuffed peppers with some hot sauce or salsa.
- Switch up the beans. Pinto beans would be great in these stuffed peppers.
- To make cheesy stuffed bell peppers, after the peppers are tender top each bell pepper with a little vegan cheese. Cook for 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
more slow cooker dinner recipes:
- Vegan Slow Cooker Enchilada Quinoa Black Bean Bake
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Quinoa Chili
- Slow Cooker Vegan Taco Soup
- Slow Cooker Lentil Sloppy Joes
If you are looking for a filling, plant-based dinner option, give these healthy stuffed peppers a try.
If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment letting us know how you like it!
- 6-8 large bell peppers
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- 2- 15 ounce cans Black Beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can 14 ounces fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- ½ cup frozen corn
- 1 packet taco seasoning, I like Siete
- salt and pepper to taste
- Sliced avocado
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Sliced green onions
- Hot sauce or Salsa
- Lime wedges
- Slice the tops off of the bell peppers and carefully remove the ribs and seeds, careful not to break the peppers.
- In a large bowl, combine the filling. Add the cooked rice, black beans, tomatoes, corn, andn taco seasoning. Stir to combine.
- Spoon the filling into the peppers, filling them all the way to the top. The number of peppers you need for all of the filling will vary depending upon the size of the peppers.
- Pour ½ cup water into an empty 6-quart (or larger) slow cooker.
- Stand the peppers up on their bases in the water, arranging them so that they are evenly spread apart.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 3 hours, until the peppers are tender.
- Serve hot with desired toppings.
TO STORE: Store cooked leftovers in an airtight storage container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 373Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1057mgCarbohydrates: 69gFiber: 17gSugar: 8gProtein: 14g
Nutrition information is just an estimate per serving.