As the weather cools down, break out your slow cooker and make this flavor packed Vegan Slow Cooker Lentil Curry.
This creamy, rich flavorful curry is made with lentils, sweet potatoes, carrots and coconut milk.
Adding coconut milk at the end of the cooking process creates a creamy curry that is also diary-free.
what kind of curry powder to use?
For this curry recipe, I recommend using your favorite curry powder. If you prefer a spicer curry, look for a hot curry powder. I prefer to use a mild curry powder.
Since I like to make this curry toddler-friendly, the level of heat of mild curry is perfect for my family.
what type of lentils to use
Since we are using the slow cooker to cook the curry, I like to use brown lentils.
Brown lentils will told there shape during the cooking process and won't break down like red lentils would.
best slow cooker
For this curry recipe, I like to use a 6 quart slow cooker. I think that this size is perfect for making soups and stews.
how to serve the vegan curry
My favorite way to serve the Slow Cooker Lentil Curry is over white rice. My family loves rice and I find it to be the best accompaniment for curry.
A little fresh cilantro brightens up the dish and makes a great garnish.
Can you freeze it?
Yes! If you have leftovers, this curry recipe is definitely freezer friendly. Refrigerate the curry until completely cool. Then transfer the chili to air-tight freezer safe containers.
More slow cooker dinners to try:
- Slow Cooker Vegan Stuffed Peppers
- Vegan Slow Cooker Enchilada Quinoa Black Bean Bake
- Slow Cooker Vegan Taco Soup
- Slow Cooker Lentil Sloppy Joes
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Quinoa Chili
- 2 cups dried brown lentils
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Large Carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 Medium Sweet Potato, peeled and diced
- 3 Tablespoons Curry Powder
- 2- 14.5 -ounce Cans Diced Potatoes
- 3 Cups Vegetable Broth
- 1- 13.66 ounce Can Full-Fat Coconut Milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cooked White Rice
- Fresh Cilantro
- Sliced Green Onion
- To your slow cooker, add the diced onion, garlic, carrots, sweet potatoes, curry powder, diced tomatoes, and vegetable broth, Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook the curry on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- After the curry is done and the lentils are tender, add in the coconut milk; stir, and cook for a few more minutes to warm the coconut milk.
- Taste and adjust seasonings adding more salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve of cooked white rice and garnish with cilatnro and green onions if using.
If you have leftovers, this curry recipe is definitely freezer friendly. Refrigerate the curry until completely cool. Then transfer the chili to air-tight freezer safe containers.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 267Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 314mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 7gSugar: 4gProtein: 8g
Nutrition information is just an estimate per serving.