In Mexico, there are many different variations of lentil soup. I really love the combination of lentils and vegan chorizo. This Vegan Lentil and Chorizo Soup is one of our family’s favorite soup recipes!
I love this Vegan Lentil and Chorizo Soup for a few different reasons. First, it’s very easy to make. Most of the cooking time is inactive, just a little bit of prep is needed to prepare the vegetables.
Secondly, it’s packed full of fiber and nutrition. Lentils are a great source of protein and a rich source of dietary fiber. Lentils have 19 grams of fiber per 1/4-cup serving and 11 grams of protein. Lentils contain nine essential amino acids, which makes them a popular source of protein for vegetarians, vegans and anyone focusing on a plant-based diet.
For this soup recipe, I really love using brown lentils. It is traditional in Mexico, to use brown lentils are commonly used. I like how the brown lentils hold their texture when cooked. Plus, lentils are extremely affordable.
I love adding soy chorizo to lentil soup. I love buying the soy chorizo from Trader Joe’s. I love keeping some on hand because the chorizo adds so much flavor and spice to recipes.
Lentils and chorizo are such a delicious combination together. This Vegan Lentil and Chorizo Soup is a great make-ahead meal too. The soup reheats beautifully. Great for meal prep! As the soup sits, the lentils can absorb some of the broth. If the soup gets too thick, just add more broth or water to the soup.
If you love lentils, be sure to check out these other delicious lentil recipes!
I hope that you enjoy this Vegan Lentil Soup with Chorizo as much as I do! It is a flavorful soup that if packed full of protein and fiber! If you make the recipe, be sure to tag us on Instagram #thymeandlove. We love to see what you are making!
- 4 Roma Tomatoes, chopped
- 3 Garlic Cloves, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Avocado Oil
- 1 Large onion, diced
- 3 Large carrots, peeled and diced into small pieces
- 6 oz. Vegan Soy Chorizo, removed from casing
- 1 Teaspoon Mexican Oregano
- 2 Cups of Brown Lentils, sorted and rinsed
- 8 Cups of Vegetable Broth, plus more if needed
- 1 Bay Leave
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a high speed blender, add the chopped tomatoes and garlic. Blend until smooth. Set aside until needed.
- In a large soup pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the diced onion and carrots. Cook until softened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the soy chorizo; stir. Cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Pour in the reserved tomato and garlic puree and oregano; stir. Cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the lentils, broth, bay leaf, salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil. Once boiling cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer until the lentils are tender, about 40 minutes.
- Taste and add more salt if needed. Remove bay leaf before serving.
As the soup sits, it can absorb a lot of the liquid. If this happens, just add more broth or water for a thinner soup.