Looking for a new taco recipe for taco night? These Easy Tofu Tacos are perfect if you’re looking for an easy meatless taco recipe.
Lately I’ve been all about quick and easy weeknight meals. Whenever I am trying to come up with new dinner ideas, I tend to make tacos since they are a family favorite.
I usually have a bean or vegetable based taco, but lately I’ve been loving these easy tofu tacos.
Tofu makes a hearty, filling vegan taco filling. Since tofu is naturally bland, it’s important to add lots of spices. This taco recipe definitely is packed with flavor.
what you need to make tofu tacs
Extra-Firm Tofu- You want to use extra-firm tofu that you have pressed and drained. After the tofu has been pressed, I like to break it apart with my hands. This creates crumbles.
Aromatics- Onion and garlic are sauteed in oil before browning the tofu.
Spices- A simple homemade taco seasoning adds tons of flavor to basic tofu.
Tomato Sauce- As the tofu simmers it will absorb all the wonderful flavor of the tomato sauce and spices.
how to serve the tacos
Heat up the tortillas until warm. I love using this cahttps://amzn.to/3jPjlTG cast iron griddle to heat tortillas.
I like topping the tacos with avocado slices, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime.
what to serve with the tacos
If you are looking for some ideas on a side to serve with the tacos, Mexican red rice is always a great option. Also these Mexican Green Beans would make a great healthy side dish to serve alongside the tacos.
can the taco filling be made ahead of time?
This tofu taco filling recipe is great for meal prepping. After you are done cooking the tofu, let it cool and transfer to an air-tight container.
The filling will last 3-4 days in the fridge. I would just want to prep and of the taco toppings until you are ready to eat.
Looking for more taco recipes? Check out these delicious taco recipes:
- Soy Chorizo and Potato Tacos
- Vegan Breakfast Tacos
- Easy Mushroom Tacos
- Spicy Cauliflower and White Bean Tacos
- Beer Braised Jackfruit Tacos
If you make this recipe, be sure tag us on Instagram @thymeandlove or leave a comment here on the blog post! We love to see what you are making!
- 1 Pound Extra-Firm Tofu, pressed and drained
- 1/2 Tablespoon Avocado Oil
- 1/4 White Onion, diced
- 3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 2 Tsp Chili Powder
- 2 Tsp Cumin
- 1 Tsp Oregano
- 1 Tsp Smoked Paprika
- 3/4 Tsp Salt, or to taste
- 1/4 Tsp Black Pepper
- 8 ounces Tomato Sauce
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 8 Corn Tortillas, warmed
- 1 Large Tomato, diced
- 1 Avocado, diced or sliced
- Fresh Chopped Cilantro
- Lime Wedges
- Shredded Lettuce
- Pickled or Fresh Jalapenos
- Press and drain the tofu for 30 minutes.
- Add the oil to a large skillet and place over medium high heat. Add diced onions and cook until softened, about 4-6 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Crumble the tofu into chunks and add to the skillet; stir. Cook for 7-9 minutes until the tofu starts to brown.
- Add in the chili powder, cumin, oregano, paprika, salt and pepper; stir. Cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in the tomato sauce and water.
- Simmer over medium low heat for 10-15 minutes or until mixture begins to thicken up.
- Once ready to serve, divide tofu between 8 corn tortillas. Add optional toppings: tomatoes, diced avocado, cilantro, lettuce and jalapenos.