Basic Cashew Crema is a versatile Vegan Mexican crema that can be used in so many ways.
Crema is a staple condiment in Mexican cooking. For a Vegan version, cashews are used to create an ultra creamy, non-dairy crema. The combination of apple cider vinegar and lemon juice creates a tangier and sour crema.
This crema has become a staple in my kitchen. On the weekends, I like to make a batch to use throughout the week. It should last at least 4 days stored in jar with a tight fitting lid in the fridge.
This Basic Cashew Crema can be used in any recipe that you would traditionally use Mexican crema. My favorite way to use the crema is to drizzle it over tacos.
- 1 Cup Raw Cashews, soaked for 4-6 hours
- 1 Tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- ¾ Tsp Sea Salt, or to taste
- ¾ Cup Water
- Soak the cashews in water for 4-6 hours. Drain the cashews and add to a blender along with the apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, salt and water.
- Blend the cashews until completely smooth. This will take a few minutes. If the mixture is still grainy continue blending until the cashews are smooth. Add the additional ¼ cup of water if needed.
- Store in a jar with a tight fitting lid in the fridge to use throughout the week.