Start your morning off with delicious Vegan Breakfast Tacos!
Whenever I do my grocery shopping at my local Mexican grocery store, I always try and pick up some nopales. If you aren't familiar with nopales, also known as cactus paddles, they are popular throughout Mexico.
They are low in calories and packed with vitamins and minerals. They are also great if you are diabetic and can lower your cholesterol. Yay for veggies!
I love adding nopales to my tofu scrambles. One of my favorite recipes using nopales definitely would have to be these Vegan Breakfast Tacos.
One of my favorite breakfast taco fillings would definitely have to be a tofu scramble. Tofu is a great source protein and it is super filling.
These Vegan Breakfast Tacos featuring a simple and easy tofu scramble that is seasoned with some of my favorite spices: chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, and Mexican oregano.
Whenever I make tofu scramble, I love adding some sort of vegetable. Nopales are one of my favorite veggies to add to tofu.
I love roasting the nopales. I think this is a great way to cook the cactus paddles. Normally nopales are boiled, but I really prefer roasting them.
Roasted nopales add a nice surprising twist to the scramble. Every few bites, you'll get a bite of the tart nopal pieces.
The spices in the scramble complement the nopales really well. The guajillo chili powder adds a nice warm tone without making the scramble spicy. If you unable to find nopales, you can add cooked green beans instead!
These breakfast tacos with tofu scramble and nopales is definitely one of my favorite go-to breakfast. They are filling, nutritious, and overall just satisfying.
My favorite way to serve these tacos is with a squeeze of lime juice and avocado slices. What is a tofu scramble without avocados?! I hope you enjoy these breakfast tacos as much as we do!
watch this video to see how to make these breakfast tacos!
- 1 ½ Cup Nopales, cleaned and spines removed
- ½ Tablespoon Olive oil
For Tofu Scramble
- 1 ½ teaspoon Guajillo Chili Powder
- ¾-1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- ¾ teaspoon Cumin
- ½ teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- ½ teaspoon Mexican Oregano
- ¼ teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Water
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- ¼ White Onion, medium diced
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 LB Package Extra Firm Tofu, drained and pressed
- 2 Tablespoon Nutritional Yeast
- 2 Tablespoons Chopped Cilantro
- Corn Tortillas
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Dice the nopales into roughly 1 inch pieces. Line a cookie sheet with tinfoil, parchment paper, or nonstick liner. Add nopales and ½ tablespoon of olive oil. Roast 15 minutes, or until tender, stirring once during cooking time. Set side when done.
For the scramble:
- While the nopales roast in the oven, in a small bowl combine the spices: guajillo chili powder, salt, cumin, paprika, oregano, and pepper. Add the 2 tablespoons of water and stir everything together. Set aside.
- Preheat a large skillet, preferably cast iron, over medium high heat. Add the olive oil and onion. Cook 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Crumble the tofu block into pieces. Add to the pan and stir everything together. Cook for 10 minutes, or until the tofu starts to brown. Stir the tofu frequently. Add the spices that you set aside and cook for 5 minutes. Mix in the nutritional yeast and cook for an additional 2 minutes. If the skillet is looking a little dry, add in a splash of water.
- Stir in the chopped cilantro and reserved roasted nopales. Turn off heat.
- Warm the corn tortillas on the comal or in a non-stick skillet over medium heat for about 15-30 seconds on each side.
- Serve with avocado slices, squeeze of lime, and salsa if you like!
Tofu Scramble cooking method adapted from Isa Chandra Moskowitz's Tofu Scramble in Vegan Brunch.