Vegan Tater Tor Casserole is a family favorite casserole that just so happens to be vegan!
This one pan tater tot casserole is loaded with veggies, plant-based meat, vegan cheese and topped with tater tots. It wouldn't be a tater tot casserole without some tater tots!
We love a good casserole in my family. Some of my favorite casseroles that I've shared here would have to be Vegan Baked Mostaccioli if I'm craving a baked pasta dish, Biscuit Veggie Pot Pie for something cozy and comforting and Vegan Green Bean Casserole with Cornflake Topping for an easy holiday green bean dish.
I love creating vegan versions of classic Midwest casseroles. If someone in your family doesn't eat meat or has dietary restrictions, having a few vegan recipes on hand is always a great idea!
what is tater tot casserole?
Tater Tot Casserole is also known as tater tot hot dish in Minnesota.
A traditional tater tot casserole is a combination of ground beef, cream of mushroom soup, cheese, and tater tots.
For this nontraditional vegan tater tot casserole, crispy golden tater tots top a creamy, savory mix of Impossible Ground Meat, mushrooms, veggies, and vegan cheese.
Start by cooking the onion and garlic in a cast iron skillet. Then add in the Impossible meat until cook until browned. .
Next, add in the onion and garlic for the aromatics.
Now, add in some finely chopped mushrooms. This will add extra 'meatiness' to the casserole.
To thicken the casserole, we are going to add in some all-purpose flour. Cook the flour for a few minutes. This will help to remove any of the raw flour taste.
Add in the frozen vegetable mix, seasonings, and milk.
To keep this tater tot casserole dairy-free, I like to use an unsweetened plant-based milk.
Then I like to add some shredded vegan cheddar cheese to add a cheesy layer to the casserole.
The last step before baking the casserole, is to top the casserole with tater tots!
Bake the casserole in the oven until the tater tots are golden brown.
Serve and enjoying this hearty, comforting meatless casserole.
If you make this recipe, be sure to rate the recipe or tag un on Instagram #thymeandlove.
- 1 Tsp Avocado Oil
- 1 Small Onion, finely diced
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 12 ounce package Impossible Ground Beef
- 8 ounces Cremini Mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 Tsp Thyme
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 16 oz Frozen Veggies, I used a mix of green beans, carrots and corn
- ¼ Cup All Purpose Flour
- 2 Cups Unsweetned Plant Milk
- 1 ½- 2 Cups Shredded Vegan Cheddar Cheese
- 32 ounce Bag Tater Tots
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat the oil in a 12-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook 3-4 minutes.
- Add the garlic; stir, and cook 30 seconds.
- Add the Impossible meat to the pan until cooked through, breaking it up with a spatula or spoon as it browns.
- Next add the diced mushrooms and sauté, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes until they soften.
- Stir in the thyme and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle in the flour and stir, cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the frozen veggies, mix, and then slowly pour in the nondairy milk. Bring the mixture just comes to a boil. Once boiling, turn off the heat.
- Top the vegetable mixture with the vegan cheese.
- Arrange the tater tots on top.
- Carefully place the skillet in the oven and bake 50- 55 minutes or until the tater tots are golden-brown.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and let stand 5 minutes before serving.
1. If you don't have a cast iron pan, you can transfer the cooked mixture to a 9 by 13 casserole dish.
2. Leftover tater tot casserole will keep in a covered container, refrigerated for up to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 636Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 88mgSodium: 955mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 6gSugar: 8gProtein: 30g
Nutrition information is just an estimate per serving.