This Vegan Green Bean Casserole with Cornflake Topping is a twist on the classic green bean casserole.
Instead of using cream of mushroom soup and fried onions, this green bean casserole recipe uses sour cream, cheddar cheese and topped with cornflakes.
Growing up my Grandma made her green bean casserole with cooked green beans mixed with sour cream, topped with cheddar cheese and topped with cornflakes.
She made this green bean casserole every Thanksgiving and Easter for the family.
For this recipe, I have veganized my Grandma's green bean casserole recipe.
Just a few simple swaps were needed to create a dairy-free green bean casserole.
Ingredients needed for Green Bean Casserole
For this vegan green bean casserole you'll need:
- Frozen Green Beans- Look for the French style frozen green beans
- Vegan Butter- The create a roux we will use vegan butter as the base
- Onion- My Grandma used onion powder, but I prefer to use a diced onion
- Flour- All purpose flour combined with the butter will create a roux.
- Vegan Sour Cream- The cooked green beans get tossed with vegan sour cream. I like to use my favorite store-bough sour cream.
- Vegan Cheese- I used a vegan cheddar cheese, but I think any type of vegan cheese will work.
- Cornflakes- Crushed cornflakes tossed in butter make a delicious topping to the green bean casserole.
how to make green bean casserole
First, you'll want to cook the frozen French style green beans until they are tender.
Once the beans are cooked, melt the vegan butter in a skillet. Add the diced onion and cook until soft.
Whisk in the flour and make a roux. Stir in the vegan sour cream and then fold in the cooked green beans.
Using a 2 quart casserole dish, pour in the green bean mixture.
Top the green beans with the shredded vegan cheese and cornflakes.
Bake in the oven until golden brown and the cheese has melted.
This vegan green bean casserole is a great holiday side dish. If you aren't a fan of mushrooms in the classic green bean casserole, give this Vegan Green Bean Casserole with Cornflake Topping a try.
This green bean casserole is a unique twist on the classic green bean casserole we all are familiar with.
more holiday dishes:
- Mashed Purple Sweet Potatoes with Maple Pecans
- Vegan Mashed Potatoes with Apple Cider Gravy
- Pear Salad with Candied Pecans and Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Butternut Squash Casserole
- 1 16 ounce Package Frozen French Style Green Beans
- 3 Tablespoons Vegan Butter, divided
- ¼ Yellow Onion, finely diced
- 2 Tablespoons All Purpose Flour
- ½ teaspoon Salt, plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- Pinch of Sugar, about ⅛ Tsp
- 8 Ounces Vegan Sour Cream
- 1 Cup Shredded Vegan Cheddar Cheese
- 2 Cups Cornflakes
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Grease a 2 quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook the frozen green beans according the package directions. Set aside when done.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium and add one tablespoon of butter. Once melted, add the onion and cook until soft, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the flour and whisk until combined. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the salt, pepper and sugar; stir.
- Stir in the vegan sour cream. Fold in the cooked green beans.
- Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Transfer the green bean mixture to the prepared casserole dish. Top with the shredded vegan cheddar cheese.
- Melt the remaining two vegan tablespoon of butter in the microwave. Mix the melted butter with the cornflakes in a bowl.
- Pour the cornflakes on top of the casserole.
- Bake at 400° F about 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated and the cheese is melted.