Creamy stove top vegan mac and cheese with broccoli is a family favorite. Raw cashews create an ultra creamy cheese sauce that is completely dairy-free.
My family loves pasta night. Pasta is always my go-to for a quick, easy meal that everyone will love.
I adore using cashews in pasta sauce. When soaked and blended, raw unsalted cashews the create the creamiest vegan cheese sauce.
The best part about this vegan mac and cheese recipe is that you don't have to be vegan to enjoy it!
I am always looking for ways to incorporate more vegetables that my toddler loves. Broccoli is one of his favorites, so I knew that he would like the addition of broccoli to the vegan mac and cheese.
- raw cashews- the base of the vegan cheese sauce is cashews. You want to make sure to use raw cashews that are unsalted.
- pasta- I like to use macaroni or shell pasta for mac and cheese, but you can really use any type of pasta. I have made this with penne pasta quite a few times. For a gluten-free mac and cheese, use your favorite gluten-free pasta.
- aromatics- for the aromatics, diced yellow onion is sautéed in avocado oil until softened. Next add in minced garlic and cook for another minute. Sautéing the aromatics before adding them the blender, will add an extra layer of flavor to the cheese sauce.
- nutritional yeast- to create a cheesy, vegan cheese sauce we need to add nutritional yeast. This will add a nutty, earthy dairy-free cheese sauce.
- spices- just a few spices are needed. I like adding turmeric for added color.
- lemon juice- fresh, bright lemon juice brings all the flavors together.
- broccoli- during the last few minutes of the pasta cooking time, add in chopped broccoli. I love the addition of broccoli to the pasta. This is a great way to add in some extra veggies at dinner.
how to store
Store leftovers in an air-tight container for up to 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop. If the pasta has thickened up too much overnight, add a splash of water to the pasta to help loosen up the pasta.
If you are looking for a vegan mac and cheese that is easy to make and family-friendly, this is a great pasta recipe to try!
I hope that you loves this vegan mac and cheese recipe as much as my toddler does!
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 8 ounces pasta, I like elbows or shells
- 2 cups broccoli florets, chopped
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ⅓ to ½ cup nutritional yeast*
- 1 cup water, plus more if needed
- Add the raw cashew to a bowl and cover with hot water Set aside until needed.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. During the last 3 minutes of the pasta cooking time, add broccoli. Once pasta is al dente and broccoli is cooked, drain and return to pot.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and a pinch of salt and cook for 4-6 minutes, or until translucent.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Carefully transfer the onion and garlic mixture to a high-speed blender.
- Drain the cashews and add to the blender along with the salt, turmeric, lemon juice, nutritional yeast and water.
- Blend the cheese sauce until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Pour the sauce into pot with pasta and broccoli. Serve and enjoy!
If you haven't used nutritional yeast before, I would start off with ⅓ of a cup and add more to taste. If you love nooch, you'll want to add the full ½ cup.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 447Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 574mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 7gSugar: 5gProtein: 17g
Nutrition information is just an estimate per serving.