This Creamy Vegan Penne alla Vodka is perfect for pasta night or a date night meal at home.
Meet my new favorite pasta: Creamy Vegan Penne alla Vodka. It’s rich, creamy and just a little bit indulgent.
This pasta sauce is ultra creamy, but it’s made without any cream. Those magical cashews create the luscious creamy element to the sauce. Plus the tomato vodka sauce has only 10 main ingredients plus salt and pepper.
For a gluten-free version, simply use your favorite pasta. I actually use gluten-free pasta quite often and for this recipe I used a brown rice penne pasta. We usually have a pasta night once a week and this Creamy Vegan Penne alla Vodka has quickly become a favorite for pasta night. I usually don’t like to repeat recipes very often since I am always testing out new recipes, but I have made this pasta three times this month. It’s just so creamy, rich and comforting.
This Creamy Vegan Penne alla Vodka would be the perfect for cozy date night meal at home. It would also make a great Valentine’s meal.
- 1 Cup Raw Cashews
- 3/4 Cup Water
- 1 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Shallots, finely chopped
- 3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 Cup Vodka
- 1 Cup Vegetable Broth
- 1-28 ounce Crushed Tomatoes
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 Pound Penne Pasta
- Handful of Fresh Basil Leaves
- Soak the cashews in water for at least 2 hours. Drain the cashews. Add to the blender along with the water. Blend until smooth. Set aside until needed.
- In a large, high-sided deep skillet or dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the shallots and sauté 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for another minute.
- Deglaze the pan with vodka and let it reduce by half. Pour in the broth, crushed tomatoes and add salt and pepper to taste. Bring the sauce to a boil then reduce heat to a low simmer. Cook for 20-30 minutes.
- While the sauce is simmering, cook the pasta. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt the water and cook the the pasta according to the package instructions.
- Once the sauce is done simmering, stir in the reserved cashew cream. Stir and adjust seasonings, adding more salt and pepper if needed. Add the cooked pasta and stir.
- Add in the chopped basil.