Calling all pasta lovers! Switch up pasta night with this flavorful Spicy Vegan Sausage Pasta.
This Spicy Vegan Sausage Pasta sauce is inspired by my Eggplant and Mushroom Rigatoni—one of my most popular recipes on the blog. It is such a delicious pasta recipe filled with vegetables and an incredible pasta sauce. I love this pasta recipe so much that I wanted to create another version that used a plant-based meat to create a hearty sauce.
This pasta sauce is layered with flavors. It's complex from the red wine and balsamic vinegar and has a nice spicy kick.
I recently received the Impossible spicy ground sausage in my Imperfect Foods box. When I was thinking about how to use the sausage, I was inspired to make this spicy sausage pasta.
Adding the sausage to the pasta sauce takes the pasta to another level. This pasta recipe would be great for someone who has been vegan for years or someone who is looking to incorporate more plant-based meals into their diet.
The Impossible Spicy Sausage is completely made from plants. It has the savory taste of fresh sausage and has a spicy kick of chili and cayenne. What I love about this vegan sausage is that it has 43% less saturated fat when cooked compared to pork ground sausage and 47% less total fat.
The combination of San Marzano tomatoes, red wine and balsamic vinegar is out of this world.
The balsamic vinegar really takes this sauce to the next level. It might seem like a weird thing to add to the pasta sauce but the tang of the vinegar elevates the pasta sauce. The balsamic vinegar and red wine come really come alive then combined together.
Since we are making a spicy pasta recipe, we definitely need to add some red pepper flakes. If you love things very spicy, I recommend adding in a little extra red pepper flakes.
If you love pasta as much as I do, check out these delicious vegan pasta recipes!
Rigatoni with Vegan Meatballs
Easy Vegan Pasta with Zucchini
Vegan Brussels Sprouts Spaghetti
Vegan Baked Pasta with Tofu Ricotta
Vegan Chorizo and Chickpea Pasta
I love garnishing the rigatoni with fresh chopped parsley. Vegan parmesan would also be delicious!
If you give this spicy sausage vegan pasta recipe a try, be sure to leave a comment or tag us on Instagram!
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion, minced
- 2 Celery Stalks, minced
- 1 Large Carrot, minced
- 3 Large Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 Package Vegan Ground Spicy Italian Sausage
- ½ Cup Dry Red Wine
- 1 ½ Tsp Sea Salt
- ½ Tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Tsp Oregano
- ½ Tsp Red Pepper Flakes, or to taste
- ¼ Cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 28 ounce Can San Marzano Tomatoes, including their juices
- 1 12 once package Rigatoni
- Fresh Parsley for serving
- In a large deep saute pan or dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onion, celery and carrots; stir and cook until softened about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Next, add in the ground vegan sausage; stir to combine and cook until done. It should only take a few minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with the red wine.
- Once most of the wine has been cooked out, add salt, pepper, oregano and red pepper flakes.
- Next pour in the balsamic vinegar and tomatoes. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 20-30 minutes.
- While the sauce is cooking, make the pasta. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt the water.
- Cook the pasta according to package direction. Drain the pasta and add it to the tomato sauce.
- Taste and add more salt or pepper if needed.
- Serve and garnish with chopped parsley if using.