Vegan Chorizo and Chickpea Pasta is a protein packed vegan pasta recipe.
This Vegan Chorizo and Chickpea Pasta is one of my favorite pantry staple recipes. This pasta recipe is perfect for anyone who shops mainly at Trader Joe’s. All of the ingredients needed for the recipe can be purchased at Trader Joe’s.
I love keeping a package or two of soy chorizo on hand. My favorite store bought vegan chorizo is definitely the soy chorizo from Trader Joe’s. It is packed with flavor, and a crowd pleaser among vegan and carnivores.
This pasta recipe is full of plant-based protein. For added plant-based protein, I added chickpeas with the chorizo. The chickpeas help to bulk up the pasta sauce.
The chorizo and chickpeas simmer in a delicious red wine and tomato sauce. The red wine adds a really nice depth of flavor to the sauce.
The vegan chorizo gives the pasta a spicy kick. The pasta sauce can be made ahead of time and simply reheated when you are ready to make the pasta.
For a gluten-free option, just make sure that your vegan chorizo is gluten-free and use gluten-free pasta. For this recipe, I used Banza Chickpea Pasta. The Banza pasta is one of my favorite gluten-free pastas on the market.
This Vegan Chorizo and Chickpea Pasta is a satisfying plant-based entree that the whole family will like!
- 1 Tablespoon Avocado Oil
- 1 Medium Yellow, diced
- 2 Large Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 12 ounce Package Vegan Chorizo, casing removed
- 1 15 ounce Can Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 Tablespoons Tomato Pasta
- 1/2 Cup Dry Red Wine
- 1 1/2 Cups Vegetable Broth
- 1 28 can Whole Peeled Tomatoes, preferably San Marzano
- 1/2 Cup Parsley, chopped
- 1 Pound Pasta, I used Gluten-Free Rotini
- Heat the oil in Dutch oven or large, deep sided saucepot over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, cook until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cook for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Remove the vegan chorizo from the casing and add to the pan; stir until evenly mix.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, add the chickpeas and gently mashed with the back of a fork.
- Add the mashed chickpeas to the chorizo; stir, and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste; stir to awaken the paste. Cook 2 minutes.
- Pour in the red wine and deglaze the pan; stir. Cook until most of the wine has evaporated.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and add the tomatoes. Season with salt to taste.
- Break up the whole tomatoes until the back of a spoon.
- Bring to a simmer; reduce heat to low, and cover. Cook for 30-40 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings to taste.
- Add in the fresh parsley.
- Heat a large pot of water to cook the pasta and season with salt. Cook the pasta to al dente, according the package directions.
- Toss the pasta with the sauce.