Jackfruit Tinga Tostadas are a vegan spin on a traditional Mexican recipe.
Tinga is a traditional Mexican recipe that usually uses shredded chicken or pork in a tomato base sauce with chipotles and sometimes tomatillos. The tinga is usually served with tostadas or tortillas. I really love making tostadas with the tinga.
I have shared a few tinga recipes on the blog over the years—Mushroom Tinga Tostadas and Vegan Tinga Tostadas which are made with setian. The other week I got a craving for tinga and decided to make a jackfruit version.
The jackfruit version is also gluten-free! I have been on a big jackfruit kick lately. Do you like cooking with jackfruit? I love the Trader Joe's know carries canned jackfruit in brine. I always pick up a few cans when I'm at Trader Joe's. Jackfruit has definitely become a pantry staple.
For this recipe, I like to shred the jackfruit before cooking it. I just use my hands to break up the jackfruit into shredded pieces.
Blended tomatoes create the base of the sauce. Chipotle peppers in adobo add a nice spicy kick to the sauce. If you aren't a big spicy fan, start with one pepper. You can always add more chipotles for extra heat!
The shredded jackfruit simmers in the tomato and chipotle sauce until most of the sauce has been absorbed by the jackfruit.
serving the jackfruit
To serve the jackfruit tinga, I like to set out tostadas, shredded cabbage, avocado slices, lime wedges and chopped cilantro. I love squeezing a little bit of lime over the tostadas. It really brings out the flavors!
- 4 Roma Tomatoes
- 2- 20 ounces Cans Jackfruit in Brine, drained and rinsed
- 3 Tablespoons Avocado Oil
- 1 Medium White Onion, thinly sliced into slivers
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- ½ teaspoon Thyme
- ½ teaspoon Mexican Oregano, crushed between your fingers
- ¾-1 teaspoon Sea Salt, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper, or to taste
- 2 Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce, minced
- Shredded Cabbage
- Avocado Slices
- Chopped Cilantro
- Lime Wedges
- In a saucepan, place the tomatoes.Cover with water. Over Medium heat, bring them to a boil. Once boiling, lower to a simmer and cook until the tomatoes skins just start to soften, about 10-12 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the tomatoes to a blender. Add ½ cup of the cooking liquid to the blender. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, break apart the jackfruit by using your hands; the jackfruit should look shredded. Set aside.
- Heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft and translucent, about 5-6 minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Add the shredded jackfruit, cook until lightly browned, about 7-9 minutes.
- Add the reserved tomato sauce to the skillet. Add the cumin, thyme, oregano, salt, pepper, and chipotle peppers. Stir everything together. Bring to a boil then lower the heat to a simmer. Cook until the sauce has reduced, about18-20 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Serve with tostadas and favorite toppings!
pin this image for later!