This Vegan Tofu Tequila Chili is a protein packed meatless chili recipe that is perfect for game day.
Chili is one of my favorite meals. Once the weather starts too cool off in the fall, I start adding different chili recipes to my meal plan. I love making different variations of chili throughout the fall and winter. Chili is just one of those foods that’s perfect for a cold night or for entertaining on game day.
Today I am sharing one of my favorite chili recipes: Vegan Tofu Tequila Chili. This chili recipe is easy, packed with plant-based protein and great for meal prepping.
My secret ingredient in this chili recipe is tequila. Tequila adds a really nice depth of flavor to the chili. Just like cooking with wine, you want to use a good quality tequila that you would drink. This will give you with best flavor.
After the chili has simmered on the stove for a hour, the chili gets a little brightness from fresh lime juice and cilantro. You can also add in a splash more tequila if you want a little more punch to your chili.
Top the chili with your favorite toppings. I like to serve this Vegan Tofu Tequila Chili with tortilla chips, diced avocado, more lime juice and chopped cilantro.
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 1 Large Yellow Onion, diced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, seeded and diced
- 4 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 12 Ounce Package Firm Tofu, pressed and drained
- 2-4 Tablespoons Chili Powder*
- 2 Tsp Cumin
- 1 Tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 Tsp Oregano
- 1/2 Tsp Salt, plus more if needed
- 1/4 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 Cup Tequila
- 1 28 Ounce Can Diced Tomatoes
- 1 1/4 Cup Vegetable Broth
- 2 15 Ounce Cans Kidney Beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 Cup Frozen Corn
- 1 Tablespoon Lime Juice
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Cilantro
- 1/2 Tsp Agave Nectar
- optional: an additional 1 tablespoon of tequila for an added punch
- Diced Avocado
- Lime Wedges
- Chopped Cilantro
- Tortilla Chips
- Heat the oil in a large dutch oven or soup pot over medium high heat. Add the diced onion and pepper. Saute for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Next crumble the tofu into pieces and add to the pot. Stir and cook the tofu for 7-9 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, salt and pepper. Stir, making sure to coat all the tofu with the spices. Cook 1 minute. Deglaze the pot with the tequila.
- Add the tomatoes, broth, kidney beans and corn. Bring to a boil then reduce to a low simmer and cover. Cook for 1 hour.
- After the chili has simmered for an hour, add in the lime juice, chopped cilantro, agave, and the additional tablespoon of tequila if using. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve with your favorite garnishes.
For a milder chili, add two tablespoons of chili powder. For a spicer chili, add up to four tablespoons.