Vegan Sausage Stuffed Dates with sauerkraut are a sweet and savory appetizer perfect for entertaining!
Now that December is officially here, it is time to start planning your holiday menus. I’m really excited to be sharing a recipe that is part of the Ultimate Vegan Holiday Menu. A group of amazing food bloggers are sharing recipes for the best holiday menu. Everything from appetizers to dessert.
Dates are filled with a homemade tempeh sausage and baked in the oven with sauerkraut. This appetizer is perfect for all the sweet and savory fans out there. The dates are naturally sweet and the sauerkraut is definitely savory. The tempeh sausage also has a spicy kick which adds another flavor to the recipe.
The tempeh sausage couldn’t be easier to make. It is loaded with lots of dried herbs and spices. I love the combination of the tempeh with the dates.
This recipe is actually inspired by a sausage stuffed date recipe that I saw on The Chew a few years ago. I remember watching an episode where Michael Symon made these dates that were baked with sauerkraut. I loved the idea of combing dates, sauerkraut and sausage together—vegan sausage of course!
I have been wanting to create a vegan version for a few years. I am excited to finally be sharing this recipe for Vegan Sausage Stuffed Dates!
This appetizer is perfect for holiday parities.
These Vegan Sausage Stuffed Dates are great for entertaining. You can make the tempeh sausage ahead of time. The dates can also be assembled ahead of time as well.
You guests will love the combination of the tempeh sausage, dates, and sauerkraut.
- 1 8 ounce package Tempeh
- 1½ Cups Water
- 1 Tablespoon Avocado Oil
- 2 Large Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 Tsp Dried Sage
- 1 Tsp Fennel
- 1 Tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 Tsp Black Pepper
- ½ Tsp Oregano
- ½ Tsp Thyme
- ½ Tsp Salt
- Pinch Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 Tablespoons Coconut Aminos
- 1 Tsp Vegan Worcestershire Sauce
- 16-18 Medjool Dates, pitted
- 2 Tablespoons Avocado Oil
- 1 Small Onion, thinly sliced
- Pinch Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 Cups Sauerkraut, drained
- 1 Cup Beer, I used a lager
- Zest of 1 Orange
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- In a saute pan, crumble the tempeh and add the water, it should almost cover it. Over high heat, steam the tempeh until most of the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Drain the remaining water.
- Heat the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic, cook for 30 seconds. Add the sage, fennel, paprika, pepper, oregano, thyme, salt, red pepper, aminos, and Worcestershire; stir everything together.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Let cool.
- Remove the pits from the dates and stuff each date with some of the tempeh sausage.
- Place a large saute pan over medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5-7 minutes. Season with salt.
- Add the red pepper flakes, sauerkraut, beer, and orange zest and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a simmer, until heated through. Remove mixture to a casserole dish.
- Stuff each of the dates with the tempeh sausage mixture and place each date in the sauerkraut mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve the dates with a scoop of the sauerkraut mixture.
Be sure to check out these other amazing vegan holiday recipes! These recipes are perfect for making this holiday season! Orange cranberry mimosa holiday mocktail