Creamy, decadent Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup is a must make for mushroom lovers. Earthy mushrooms are cooked with onions, garlic, fresh thyme and a splash of white wine creating a flavorful mushroom soup.
This simple, luxurious creamy mushroom soup is completely dairy-free. If you grew up loving recipes made with cream of mushroom soup—this vegan mushroom soup is for you.
There are so many way to enjoy mushrooms. The meaty texture of mushroom make a great base for vegetarian and vegan dinner recipes.
This soup is creamy, earthy and you only need a few simple ingredients.
How to make cream of mushroom soup vegan?
To make a dairy-free cream of mushroom soup, substitue heavy cream with a cashew cream.
To make the cashew cream, start by soaking raw cashews in water for 2 hours. Drain the cashews and use a high speed blender to blend the soaked raw cashews with fresh water until completly smooth.
It might seem like an extra step making the cashew cream, but it is really simple. The cashew cream is a great way to add creaminess to a recipe without adding any actually cream.
For the mushroom soup recipe, you'll need the following ingredients:
- vegan butter
- yellow onion
- all-purpose flour
- white wine
- vegetable broth
- fresh thyme
how to make the soup
First step is to making the cashew cream. About 2 hours before you plan to make the soup, soak and cashews. Drain the cashews and blend in a high-speed blender with fresh water.
In a dutch oven, melt the vegan butter. Once melted, add the diced onion and mushrooms; sauté until soft. Then add in the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
Add the flour; stir, making sure to coat everything in the flour.
Deglaze the mushrooms by pouring in the wine. Cook until about half the wine has cooked out.
Pour in the vegetable broth, fresh thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and let the soup simmer for 10-15 minutes.
Now add in the cashew cream, raise the heat to medium and cook until the soup has thickened, about 5-10 minutes.
I love serving this vegan mushroom soup with homemade croutons. The croutons take the soup to the next level.
If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and rating. We love to see that you are making!
More Vegan Soup Recipes
- ½ cup raw cashews
- ½ cup water, plus more if needed
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter
- 16 ounces cremini mushrooms, stems removed, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoons freshly chopped thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Start by soaking raw cashews in water for 2 hours. Drain the cashews and use a high speed blender to blend the soaked raw cashews with ½ cup water, adding more water if necessary. Set aside.
- Heat the butter and oil in a dutch oven or soup pot over medium high heat. Add the mushrooms and shallots; sauté for 10 minutes until soft.
- Add the garlic; sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the flour; stir, making sure to coat everything in the flour.
- Deglaze the mushrooms by pouring in the wine. Cook until about half the wine has cooked out.
- Pour in the vegetable broth, fresh thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and let the soup simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Now add in the cashew cream, raise the heat to medium and cook until the soup has thickened, about 5-10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.
Cooking time doesn't include the cashew soaking time.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 295Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1041mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 8g
Nutrition information is just an estimate per serving