Instead of having to wait a few hours for dried beans to cook, use the Instant Pot to make a batch of Instant Pot Frijoles de Olla.
The best part about making frijoles de olla in the Instant Pot is that you don't have to soak the beans!
If you forget to soak the beans overnight—no worries. Not having to soak the beans saves so much time and planning.
I make a batch of frijoles de olla pretty much every week.
We eat a lot of beans and cooking beans from scratch is so much cheaper than buying canned beans.
Mexican pinto beans are so versatile. I love meal prepping a batch and enjoying throughout the week. From tacos, soups to refried beans there are so many delicious ways to use cooked pinto beans.
Another reason why I love using the Instant Pot to cook dried beans is that you don't have to watch the beans while they cook on the stove.
ingredients for frijoles de olla
Pinto Beans- Whenever you are cooking dried beans you want to make sure to sort and rinse the beans. Sometimes there can be debris and dirt. I always try to cook dried beans that are fresh. Older beans can be though and have a hard time cooking.
White Onion- A slice of white onion is going to infuse the beans with lots of flavor and aromatics.
Fresh Garlic- Whole peeled garlic cloves are going to add depth of flavor to the beans.
Salt- It is important to wait to salt the beans until after they are done cooking.
how to cook the frijoles de olla
After you have sorted and rinsed the beans, add them to the Instant Pot.
Next, add water, onion and garlic.
Seal the Instant Pot and cook for 35 minutes on high pressure.
Let the Instant Pot naturally release the pressure for 15-20 minutes. Then carefully manually release until the valve drops.
Once the valve drops, carefully open the lid. Stir, remove the onion and garlic and season with salt to taste.
If you've never made beans in your Instant Pot, give it a try. It's so easy and a great way to cook dried beans!
- 2 Cups Dried Pinto Beans, rinsed and sorted
- 6 Cups Water
- 3 Large Garlic Cloves, peeled
- ¼ Inch Thick Slice of White Onion
- Salt to taste
- Put the beans, water, garlic and onion in the Instant Pot. Press the pressure button to cook on high. Set for 35 minutes.
- When the Instant Pot goes off, let it naturally depressurize for 15-20 minutes. Then carefully manually release the steam until the valve drops.
- Once the valve drops, open the Instant Pot and season with salt to taste.
- Turn off the heat and serve or let cool and store if not using right away.