Baked Vegan Lemon Donuts are the perfect donut for spring!
I am so excited to share this recipe for Baked Vegan Lemon Donuts with you!
These donuts are perfect for spring. They are great for serving for breakfast, an afternoon treat or served at a springtime brunch!
The donuts are bursting with bright lemon flavor. Instead using lemon juice in the donut batter, lemon extract is used to give the donuts that bright citrus flavor.
These Baked Vegan Lemon Donuts are light, tender and moist. Using aquafaba makes these donuts extra light and fluffy. If you haven’t made any recipes with aquafaba before, I highly recommend trying it out. Aquafaba has become one of my favorite egg replacers.
After the donuts have cooled, they are topped with a lemon glaze. For a little extra bright color, I love topping the donuts with a little lemon zest. I think it makes for a beautiful presentation!
- ¼ Cup Vegan Butter, softened*
- ⅓ Cup Cane Sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Aquafaba
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 1 Tsp Lemon Extract
- ½ Cup Almond Milk, I used unsweetened
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ Tsp Salt
- ¾ Cup Powdered Sugar, plus more if neede
- 1½-2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice, plus more if needed
- Lemon Zest
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Grease a donut pan. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the softened vegan butter and sugar.
- Add the aquafaba and whisk until mixed into the butter and sugar mixture.
- Add the lemon zest, lemon extract and almond milk. Mix until evenly combined.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt. Use a rubber spatula to carefully stir the batter.
- Using a small spoon, add the donut batter to the prepared donut pan. I like to use the back of the spoon to smooth out the top of the donuts.
- Bake for 12 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.
- Let the donuts cool for 2-3 minutes and then transfer the donuts to a cooling rack.
- Once the donuts have cooled, make the glaze.
- In a shallow bowl, add the powdered sugar and lemon juice. Whisk until you have a smooth glaze. If the glaze is too thick add more lemon juice and if it is too liquidly add more powdered sugar.
- Dip the donut tops in the glaze. Garnish with lemon zest if using.