Merry Christmas Eve! I can’t believe it is almost Christmas and 2015 is almost over. This warm weather we are experiencing in Michigan isn’t very festive for Christmas. Even though we aren’t having a white Christmas here in the Midwest, I am getting in the festive spirit by sharing Avocado Pasta, a spin on the traditional Mexican pasta that is served during Christmas.
Pasta is very typical to serve as a side during Christmas in Mexico. Hector’s family usually serves a cold pasta salad, pasta fria con coditos during their Christmas Eve dinner. Keeping with tradition, I thought that it would be fun for this Christmas to serve pasta. Avocado Pasta is one of my ultimate favorite pasta recipes and is perfect this time of year. This recipe is so simple and easy to make and it is green, which helps us get into the Christmas spirit!
Not only is this recipe really simple and easy to make, it is also really healthy. The pasta sauce has a creamy avocado base with a little white onion, garlic, lemon juice, cilantro, salt and pepper to taste. I like to cook the onion and garlic in the olive oil before blending it with the avocado. I find that is helps take away some of the strong onion and raw garlic taste.
To keep this recipe gluten-freee, I used Ancient Harvest Green Lentil & Quinoa Penne Pasta. I really like the texture of this gluten-free pasta. It hold up really well after being cook and taste really good compared to some brands. The best part about this pasta is that each serving has 14g of protein and 7g of fiber!
This pasta is easy to make and only a few ingredients are needed to create a creamy and satisfying pasta. I like to garnish the pasta with pumpkin seeds and some chopped cilantro. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do. Be sure to leave a comment or tag #thymeandlove on Instagram!
- 8 Ounce Package of Gluten-free Pasta
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- ¼ of a White Onion, diced
- 1 Garlic Clove, minced
- 1 Medium Avocado
- ¼ Cup Cilantro, roughly chopped
- ½ Lemon Juiced, about 2 Tablespoons
- ½ Tsp Sea Salt
- Pepper to taste
- Chopped Cilantro
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Cook pasta according to the package. Before draining the pasta, reserve some of the pasta water and set the water aside. Once the pasta is al dente drain.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft, about 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Transfer to a blender.
- Add the avocado, cilantro, lemon juice and salt to the blender. Blend until smooth.
- After the pasta has been cooked add the avocado sauce. Add a tiny bit of the reserved pasta water if needed.
- Serve Immediately
Have a safe and happy holiday! I’ll be back next week with some new recipes!