These Vegan Rhubarb Muffins are a light, tender muffin bursting with slices of rhubarb.
I love baking all different types of desserts but if I had to pick one of my favorite things to bake it would definitely have to be muffins.
Muffins are so easy to make and they make the perfect portable treat.
I have been taking full of advantage of rhubarb this season. So far I have shared recipes for Strawberry Rhubarb Sangria, Rhubarb Butter, Strawberry Salad with Rhubarb Dressing, Rhubarb Crumb Bars, and finally Vegan Rhubarb Muffins.
I guess you could say that I went a little overboard with the rhubarb recipes and sadly I think that this will probably be my last rhubarb recipe for awhile.
It's time to focus on all the other amazing seasonal produce that is now at my local farmer's market this month.
What makes these muffins a little extra special is the topping. After the muffin batter gets scooped into the lined muffin pan, a cinnamon sugar mixture tops each muffin.
The sugar mixture adds a little extra something special to these muffins.
If you are a big muffin fan like me, I hope that you give these muffins a try. Take advantage of rhubarb while it is still in season!
Serve these Vegan Rhubarb Muffins for breakfast, brunch, or an afternoon sweet treat!
I like to have a glass of almond milk or a cup of coffee along side my muffins.
Vegan Rhubarb Muffins
A light, tender muffin bursting with slices of rhubarb and topped with a sugar topping.
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ cups light brown sugar
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups rhubarb, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter, room temperature
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two 12 cup muffin pans or line with paper cups.
- In a small bowl combine the almond milk with apple cider vinegar. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- In a large separate bowl, beat the brown sugar and oil. Stir in the vanilla and milk and vinegar mixture. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
- In batches, pour in the dry ingredients and mix by hand just until blended. Stir in the rhubarb.
- In a small bowl, mix together the butter, white sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling almost to the top. Sprinkle about 1 teaspoon of cinnamon sugar mixture on top of each muffin.
- Bake until the tops of the muffins spring back when lightly pressed, about 20- 25 and a tester comes out clean.
- Let the muffins cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing.
I have load of rhubarb and have already made 3 crisps. I am going to make this recipe today but the top says yield 12 cupcakes . The directions say grease two 12 cup muffin pan. I guess I'll find out. You might want to correct. Thx
LOVED this recipe- thanks! FYI- Only one muffin pan is needed.
This is the best rhubarb muffin recipe I have ever made. I used frozen rhubarb that I thawed out, and also used the juice after thawing. The muffins were the fluffiest, lightest muffins ever. It makes 12 big ones.
I made it with gluten free flour mix ( brown rice, quinoa, oat) and only with 1 cup brown sugar and still quite tasty and the rhubarb is a good choice in it. Might due to the gluten free flour it crumbles a bit, but still acceptable. I got 17 pcs from this portion
Thanks for this great recipe. I made it in an oiled brownie pan, baked for 30 mins, & it made an amazing ‘coffee cake’ style creation. I also subbed unsweetened soy milk for the almond milk, and made the topping with sugar & cinnamon only. Disappeared fast, and the recipe really enhances the rhubarb flavor.