Strawberry Rice Crispy Treats topped with coconut whipped cream and fresh strawberries.
I haven’t had rice crispy treats in a really long time. I am talking years. Marshmallows have gelatin, an ingredient that I cut out of my diet when I became a vegetarian. Today there are so many vegan-friendly products out there on the market, including vegan marshmallows! I really like the Dandies Brand and Trader Joe’s now carries vegan-friendly marshmallows. Grab a bag next time your grocery shopping for this fun, summery dessert: Strawberry Rice Crispy Treats!
The Strawberry Rice Crispy Treats start by making the base layer of rice crispy. Vegan marshmallows melt exactly like regular marshmallows and coat the rice crispy cereal beautifully. The rice crispy layer needs to set and cool before we add the exciting topping: coconut whipped cream and fresh strawberries.
This is a fun dessert that the whole family will love. Perfect for making for any Summer gathering. I really love the contrasting textures of this dessert. When you bite into a piece you get a little bit of crunch from the rice crispy layer, a little creaminess of the coconut whipped cream and the fresh strawberries just pop with their natural sweet flavor.
You can serve it right away, but if you are making it in advance store in the fridge until ready to serve. If the dessert is left out too long at room temperature or outside, the coconut whipped cream will start to melt.
These Strawberry Rice Crispy Treats are:
Perfect for Summer
A fun treat for all
Easy to make
For Rice Crispy Layer:
- 3 Tablespoons Vegan Butter
- 4 Cups vegan marshmallows
- 6 Cups rice crispy cereal
For the Coconut Whipped Cream
- 1 14-ounce can coconut cream (I used Trader Joe's brand), chilled overnight in the refrigerator
- 1/4 Cup Powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Sliced Strawberries
For Rice Crispy Layer:
- Grease or butter a 9 by 13 baking pan.
- In large dutch oven or saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
- Add rice crispy cereal. Stir until well coated.
- Using buttered spatula evenly press mixture into the prepared pan. Set aside until cool.
For the Coconut Whipped Cream:
- Place a large mixing bowl in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Remove the can of coconut cream from the fridge and scrape all of the cream into the chilled mixing bowl. With a hand mixer beat until creamy, about 30 seconds. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute. If not topping the rice crispy treats right away, store in the fridge.
- Spread the coconut cream on the rice crispy treats. Topped with sliced strawberries.
- Serve immediately or store in the fridge until ready to serve. If left out too long at room temperature the coconut cream will start to melt.
Prep time does not include chilling the can of coconut cream overnight.
The cook time includes the time needed for the rice crispy layer to cool.