This Strawberry Spinach Salad with Rhubarb Dressing is the perfect way to celebrate local, seasonal produce. Strawberries are officially now in season here in Michigan and I couldn't be more excited for the sweet, floral Michigan Strawberry. There is nothing better than just picked Michigan Strawberries. Nothing else compares to the sweetness of the berries.
I just love the combination of strawberries and spinach. It is my go-to base salad in the Spring. I wanted to created a springy dressing the would pair beautifully with the strawberries. Since strawberries and rhubarb compliment each other so well, I thought why not make a rhubarb base dressing. This result was a creamy, completely vegan dressing that is slightly tart.
This dressing is so yummy and easy to make. The dressing starts off by simmering the rhubarb with some water to help soften it up before blending. The softened rhubarb is blended with a touch of vinegar, dijon mustard, extra virgin olive oil, and maple syrup. The maple syrup helps to balance out the tartness of the rhubarb.
The color of the dressing will vary depending on the color of your rhubarb. The rhubarb that I used was a little more on the green side. The color variations in the rhubarb will not effect the taste of the dressing. I like to chill the salad dressing in the fridge before serving the salad. It will keep in the fridge for a few days.
The salad base couldn't be simpler: fresh spinach, sweet floral strawberries, and toasted almonds. When you taste the rhubarb dressing with the strawberries, the flavors will just sing. You get a little of the rhubarb tartness and the sweet strawberry. I think that it is the perfect salad bite.
If you enjoy this Strawberry Spinach Salad with Rhubarb Dressing as much as me, be sure to tag #thymeandlove on Instagram. I'd love to see your creations!
For the dressing:
- 1 Cup Rhubarb, sliced
- ¼ Cup Water
- 2 Tablespoon Pure Maple Syrup, plus more to taste
- 1 Tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 Tsp Dijon Mustard
- ¼ Tsp Salt
For the Salad:
- ½ Pound Spinach
- 1 Pint Strawberries, sliced
- ¼ Cup Slivered Toasted Almonds
- In a small saucepan, add the rhubarb and water. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes, until the rhubarb has softened. Turn off the heat and let cool a few minutes.
- Once the rhubarb has slightly cooled, transfer to a blender. Add the maple syrup, vinegar, dijon mustard, and salt. Blend until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings. If the dressing is too tart add another tsp of maple syrup or to taste.
- Transfer to an air tight container and store in the fridge until ready to use.
For the salad:
- Place spinach on top a each plate. This amount will make 4 salads. Top the spinach with the sliced strawberries and almonds. Serve with the dressing.
Dressing inspired by this Rhubarb Vinaigrette.