Inspired by traditional Mexican Rajas con Crema, these Vegan Creamy Rajas are dairy-free!
I have been making these Vegan Creamy Rajas for awhile now and I couldn’t believe that I haven’t shared the recipe on the blog!
These Vegan Creamy Rajas are a dairy-free version of traditional Mexican rajas con crema. Rajas just means pepper strips. Poblano peppers are traditionally used in rajas con crema. You can now easily find poblano peppers in your local grocery store.
The recipe starts by roasting the poblano peppers over an open flame or comal. Once the peppers have roasted, they need to sweat before peeling them. The peeled peppers get cut into strips and then are sautéed with onion and corn.
For the creamy part of the Vegan Creamy Rajas, I used my basic Mexican Cashew Crema; a staple in my kitchen. You won’t need to whole batch for the recipe but it can be used in so many different ways.
My favorite was to serve these Vegan Creamy Rajas with corn tortillas. The rajas make a delicious taco filling. You could also serve these along side some rice and beans.
- 6 Poblano Peppers
- 2 Tablespoons Avocado Oil
- 1 Large White Onion, thinly sliced
- 2 Ears of Corn, kernels removed
- 1/2 Cup Basic Cashew Crema
- Salt to taste
For the Cashew Crema:
- 1 Cup Raw Cashews, soaked for 4-6 hours
- 1 Tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- ¾ Tsp Sea Salt, or to taste
- ¾ Cup Water
- Roast the poblano chiles directly over the gas flame on the stove or on a comal/cast iron skillet until blackened on all sides. Enclose in a plastic bag and let steam for about 10 minutes.
- Peel and seed the chiles. Cut the chiles into 1/4 to 1/2-inch strips (rajas). Set aside.
- Add the oil to a heavy large skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the corn and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Add the poblano strips to the onion and corn mixture and saute until the corn is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Pour in the cashew crema and stir. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Season with salt to taste.
- Serve warm with corn tortillas if making tacos.
For the Cashew Crema:
- Soak the cashews in water for 4-6 hours. Drain the cashews and add to a blender along with the apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, salt and water.
- Blend the cashews until completely smooth. This will take a few minutes. If the mixture is still grainy continue blending until the cashews are smooth. Add the additional ¼ cup of water if needed.
- Store in a jar with a tight fitting lid in the fridge to use throughout the week.
The cashew crema recipe can be found here: Mexican Cashew Crema.