Vegan Blueberry Pie Bars have all the flavors of traditional blueberry pie, but in bar form!
When it comes to creating recipes, I'm inspired in a few different ways. Sometimes I like to make a new recipe inspired by my travels. Sometimes an idea that pops into my head and I just have to try it—even if it sounds a little bit crazy.
Often I find myself inspired by older recipes that I've shared on the blog.
This is the case for this recipe for Vegan Blueberry Bars. I love making my Vegan Strawberry Pie Bars and recently I had the idea to try a different variation.
Instead of strawberries, I used frozen blueberries. I love using blueberries in baked goods.
Since it's winter, I like to use frozen blueberries. The frozen berries have a lot more flavor this time of year. In the summer, I love going berry picking. I freeze the fresh picked blueberries to use during the winter.
These perfectly sweet Vegan Blueberry Pie Bars are so easy to make! The bars start by making the crust—which is naturally gluten-free too! Just be sure to use gluten-free oats.
To make the crust, combine oat flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and mix it all together with melted vegan butter.
Next it’s time to make the blueberry filling. The frozen blueberries are naturally sweetened with maple syrup.
The filling needs to be slightly thick, so a little cornstarch is used to help thicken up the berries. The filling gets poured over the crust.
I like to let the bars to completely cool before cutting. These bars are perfect for a quick and easy on the go snack or breakfast!
If you make these vegan blueberry pie bars, be sure to leave a comment below below! You can also share a picture on Instagram using the hashtag #thymeandove.
- 1 ½ Cups Oat Flour, gluten-free if needed
- 1 Cup Rolled Oats, gluten-free if needed
- ½ Cup Light Brown Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ½ Cup Melted and Cooled Vegan Butter
- 2 ½ Cups Frozen Blueberries
- 3 Tablespoons Maple Syrup
- 1 ½ Tablespoons Cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line an 8 x 8 baking pan with parchment paper.
- Make the crust and crumble by placing the oat flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl; stir.
- Pour in the melted and cooled vegan butter and mix until combined and the dough starts to clump together.
- Place about ¾ of the mixture into the baking pan. Use your hands to press the dough to the bottom of the pan. Set the remaining crumble aside.
- Next make your blueberry pie filling. Add the blueberries, maple syrup, cornstarch to a medium pot over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cook for 5 minutes or until mixture is thick and coats the back of a spoon. Turn off the heat and add the vanilla extract
- Pour mixture over the crust and use a spoon to evenly spread over the crust.
- Sprinkle the crumble on top of the berries.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until filling is bubbly and topping is golden.
- Allow bars to cool completely before serving.