Smoky Kale and Chickpeas with Miso Peanut Drizzle is a quick and delicious recipe from Bold Vegan by Celine Steen.
When I first received Bold Flavored Vegan Cooking by Celine Steen in the mail, I wanted to make all the recipes. Each recipes has a bold, unique flavor profile. I couldn't wait to add this cookbook to my collection, along with Celine's other vegan cookbooks.
She has written a wide range of cookbooks including: The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions: Veganize It! Foolproof Methods for Transforming Any Dish into a Delicious New Vegan Favorite , The Complete Guide to Even More Vegan Food Substitutions, and The Great Vegan Protein Book.
It was hard to pick a recipe from the book to share with you! When I read the recipe for Smoky Kale and Chickpeas with Miso Peanut Drizzle, I knew that it was the one! This recipe comes together in less than 30 minutes, making it perfect for a quick weeknight meal. The recipe suggests to serve the kale and chickpeas with roasted potatoes. Before I started making the recipe, I diced up a few sweet potatoes and baked them in the oven while I made the Smoky Kale and Chickpeas with Miso Peanut Drizzle.
The combination of the miso peanut drizzle with the kale and chickpeas is delicious! I love peanut sauces, and adding miso adds a unique, bold flavor. It was especially good drizzled over the baked sweet potatoes.
If you are looking for add more flavor to your cooking, Bold Flavored Vegan Cooking by Celine Steen is a great cookbook to add to your collection.
Some of the other recipes that I can't wait to make are:
Kimchi fried rice
Balsamic Berry Panna Cotta
Quick and Easy Pad Thai
& Crunchy Corn Waffles
For the drizzle:
- ⅓ cup (85 g) natural peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon (18 g) red miso, more if needed
- Juice from 1 lemon (2 tablespoon [30 ml])
- 2 teaspoon (10 ml) toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoon (13 g) agave nectar or brown
- rice syrup
- 2 ½ tablespoon (15 g) chopped scallions
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) brown rice vinegar
- or seasoned rice vinegar
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) water, more if needed
For the Kale and 'Peas
- 2 teaspoon (10 ml) sesame oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 ½ cups (256 g) cooked chickpeas
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced (to taste)
- ½ teaspoon smoked sea salt
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 large bunch kale (about 14 oz [397 g]), ribs removed, washed and chopped
- To make the drizzle, place the peanut butter, miso, lemon juice, sesame oil, agave, scallions, garlic, vinegar and water in a blender. Blend until perfectly smooth. Adjust the miso to taste, and add more water if needed to get a thick yet pourable dressing. Set aside while preparing the rest of the dish. I like to use a squeeze bottle to serve the drizzle; it makes for a prettier presentation.
- To make the kale and ’peas, place the sesame oil, onion, chickpeas, garlic, salt, paprika and chipotle powder in a large skillet. Heat on medium-high and stir-fry until the onion is golden brown and fragrant, about 4 minutes. Be sure to stir frequently to prevent scorching. Add the kale and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. Serve with potatoes on the side, and drizzle peanut sauce on top. If there are sauce leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It tastes great on tofu bowls, baked potatoes and roasted vegetables.
Reprinted from Bold Flavored Vegan Cooking: Healthy Plant-Based Recipes with a Kick By Celine Steen, published by Page Street Publishing