Easy Slow Cooker Vegan Kielbasa, Cabbage and Potatoes is a hearty comforting dinner recipe.
When I make my meal plan, I usually like to have at least one slow cooker meal on the weekly meal plan.
Slow cooker meals are just so easy to make and usually don't require that much prep work. This makes life so much easier as a busy new mom!
During the winter, this recipe for slow cooker kielbasa, cabbage and potatoes is definitely on the meal plan.
Cabbage is one of my favorite vegetables. It's cheap and healthy. As the cabbage cooks in the slow cooker, it get tender and melts in your mouth.
I grew up eating kielbasa and this vegan recipe reminds me of the kielbasa recipes that I had growing up.
For this recipe, I like to purchase the vegan kielbasa from Tofurky.
I like adding potatoes to the cabbage and kielbasa. The potato makes this dish hearty and comforting.
how to make it:
Gather and prep all of the ingredients. You'll need:
- vegan kielbasa
- russet potatoes
- yellow onion
- dried thyme
- salt and pepper
how long does it take to cook?
Before adding everything to the crockpot, I like to brown the kielbasa. I know it is an extra step, but I think browning the kielbasa adds more flavor and a better texture.
Cook everything on low for 5-6 hours, or until the potatoes are tender.
If you don't drink beer, you can substitute vegetable broth. Both options are delicious.
I love serving this slow cooker kielbasa, cabbage and potatoes with beer bread.
If you've never made beer bread before, it it so easy. The beer acts as the yeast and creates a light and fluffy bread.
This dish also reheats nicely the next day.
If you are looking for a filling, hearty dinner recipe that doesn't take much time to prepare, give this slow cooker vegan kielbasa, cabbage and potatoes recipe a try!
- 1 Tsp Avocado Oil
- 1 Package Vegan Kielbasa, sliced
- ½ Head of Cabbage, about 6 cups, chopped
- 5 Russet Potatoes, peeled and cut into large chucks
- 1 Tsp Dried Thyme
- 1 -12 ounce Can Beer, I used a lager***
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced kielbasa and cook a few minutes on each side, just until lightly browned.
- Add the browned kielbasa to the slow cooker.
- Add the cabbage, potatoes, thyme, salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour in the beer and stir.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 5-6 hours, or until potatoes are tender.
- Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
If you don't like beer, you can use vegetable broth instead.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 466Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 59mgSodium: 745mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 6gSugar: 7gProtein: 18g
This is just an estimate of the nutrition for this recipe.