Every weekend I like to bake a few different baked goods for the upcoming week. Hector loves having a little sweet treat while at work and is always requesting some sort of baked good. If I ask him what he would like for dinner, he will 9 times out of 10 say cookies, muffins, and pan dulce. He definitely has a major sweet tooth, but don’t worry too much. He does eat regular savory meals for lunch and dinner. He just has to have his sweets!
This Mexican Chocolate Banana Cake has quickly become a new family favorite around here. The cake is easy to make and comes together pretty quickly. To keep the cake moist and light, I used non-dairy yogurt in place of eggs. Lately, I really have been loving using yogurt in baked goods. My favorite brand right now is So Delicious which now I can easily find in my local supermarket!
The texture is definitely more cake-like than your typical banana bread. The cake is sweet enough on its own so there is no need for any frosting or glaze. The banana and chocolate really compliment each other without over-powering each other.
If you aren’t familiar with Mexican Chocolate, this would be a great recipe to try it out. There are a few different brands, but for this recipe I used Ibarra. The chocolate is sweet with coarse sugar and cinnamon. It is quite delicious and also makes a great hot chocolate. The spices in the cake: nutmeg, allspice, cloves, and cinnamon make this cake warm and cozy. I used a spice grinder to grind whole cloves and allspice berries, but if you are short of time it is perfectly ok to use pre-ground spices from the store.
Mexican Chocolate Banana Cake is the perfect to make during the fall and winter months! Serve for dessert or along side your coffee in the morning for an extra sweet breakfast treat.
- 1/2 cup Non-Dairy Milk
- 1 Teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/4 cups Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Cinnamon, preferably Mexican Cinnamon
- 1/4 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Cloves
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Allspice
- Pinch Freshly Grated Nutmeg
- 1/2 cup Vegan Butter, softened
- 2 Very Ripe bananas
- ½ Cup Finely Chopped Mexican Chocolate
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13 by 9-inch baking pan
- In a small bowl add the milk and apple cider vinegar. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, and nutmeg.
- In a stand mixer, beat together the bananas and vegan butter for 2 minutes. Beat in non-dairy yogurt until smooth.
- Beat in the dry ingredients alternating with the milk. Fold in the chopped Mexican chocolate.
- Spread mixture evenly into the prepared pan. Bake until a tester comes out clean, about 35-40 minutes.
- Cool completely before serving.
Recipe is adapted from Rick Bayless.
Be sure to leave a comment or tag us on Instagram #thymeandlove if you make this recipe! We’d love to see what you make!