Baked Lemon Poppy Seed Donuts are bursting with bright citrus flavor.
I love baking a batch of homemade vegan donuts. Homemade donuts only take a few minutes to prep. Perfect for a quick and easy breakfast or afternoon treat!
These Lemon Poppy Seed Donuts are inspired by my Baked Vegan Lemon Donuts. Vegan lemon donuts are my go-to weekend breakfast treat.
I was craving lemon poppy seed muffins the other day, and I thought that I would switch up my basic vegan lemon donuts and add poppy seeds to the recipe.
Lemon and poppy seeds were just made for each other.
These donuts are so easy to make. I really love using aquafaba to create a light and fluffy donut. If you have never baked with aquafaba before, I highly recommend giving it a try. The chickpea brine is a great substitute for eggs in baked goods, especially donuts.
For the burst of lemon flavor, I like to use a combination of lemon zest and lemon extract. I really don't like to use fresh lemon juice because the juice would just weight down the donut batter. The combination of the lemon zest and extract gives that pop of lemon flavor.
These Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Donuts are perfect for a sweet breakfast treat or for dessert. If you love lemon as much as I do, you will love these Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Donuts.
Lemon Poppy Seed Donuts
Vegan baked lemon poppy seed donuts topped with a lemon glaze.
- ¼ Cup Vegan Butter, softened*
- ⅓ Cup Cane Sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Aquafaba
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Extract
- ½ Cup Almond Milk, I used unsweetened
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Poppy Seeds
For the Glaze:
- ¾ Cup Powdered Sugar, plus more if needed
- 1½-2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice, plus more if needed
- Lemon Zest
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Grease a donut pan. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the softened vegan butter and sugar.
- Add the aquafaba and whisk until mixed into the butter and sugar mixture.
- Add the lemon zest, lemon extract and almond milk. Mix until evenly combined.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt. Use a rubber spatula to carefully stir the batter.
- Add the poppy seeds and stir to evenly combine.
- Using a small spoon, add the donut batter to the prepared donut pan. I like to use the back of the spoon to smooth out the top of the donuts.
- Bake for 12 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.
- Let the donuts cool for 2-3 minutes and then transfer the donuts to a cooling rack.
- Once the donuts have cooled, make the glaze.
- In a shallow bowl, add the powdered sugar and lemon juice. Whisk until you have a smooth glaze. If the glaze is too thick add more lemon juice and if it is too liquidly add more powdered sugar.
- Dip the donut tops in the glaze. Garnish with lemon zest if using.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
[…] Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Donuts […]