Switch up taco night with these Jackfruit Salsa Verde Tostadas!
As much as I love taco night, I like to switch things up by having tostadas for dinner. Tostadas are kind of like an open face sandwich. You can top your tostadas with your favorite taco toppings. My current favorite are Jackfruit Salsa Verde Tostadas.
You can make your own tostadas at home, but if you are short on time you can purchase them at the grocery store. For this recipe, I usually just purchase the tostada shells at the store. To keep things on the healthier side, I like to purchase baked tostadas. My husband Hector says these are too healthy for him, so I also buy the regular tostada shells for him.
For the topping, jackfruit is simmered in an easy, homemade salsa verde. Whenever I make tostadas, I like to first put a layer of refried beans on the tostada. The refried beans are not only delicious, but also act as a glue to for the other toppings. I made a batch of my refried beans but used pinto beans instead of black. You can also use store-bought refried beans for a quick and easy meal.
Once the beans and jackfruit in salsa verde are on the tostada, I like to drizzle some cashew crema on top. I would’ve added some avocado slices too, but unfortunately I didn’t have any ripe avocados.
- 1 Cup Raw Cashews, soaked 2 to 4 hours
- 1 Tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- ¾ Tsp Sea Salt, or to taste
- ¾ Cup Water
- 1 Pound Tomatillos, husked and rinsed
- 1-2 Jalapeños, stemmed
- ¼ White Onion, diced
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- ½ Cup Cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2- 20 ounces Cans Jackfruit in brine, drained and rinsed
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 8 Corn Tostadas
- 3 Cups Refried Beans, warmed
- Cashew Crema, optional
- Avocado Slices, optional
- Chopped Cilantro, optional
- Soak the cashews in water for 4-6 hours. Drain the cashews and add to a blender along with the apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, salt and water.
- Blend the cashews until completely smooth. This will take a few minutes. If the mixture is still grainy continue blending until the cashews are smooth. Add the additional ¼ cup of water if needed.
- Store in a jar with a tight fitting lid in the fridge until ready to use.
- Add the cleaned tomatillos to a medium saucepan. Cover with water and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and cook 8-10 minutes. Drain the tomatillos and transfer to a blender.
- Add the jalapeños, onion, garlic, and cilantro to the blender. Blend until smooth. Set aside until needed.
- In a large, deep skillet heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the jackfruit and cook 7-9 until, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in the reserved salsa verde. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low. Cover and cook 15-20 minutes.
- Carefully shred the jackfruit using two forks. It is ok if you leave some pieces a little bigger.
- Cook for another 5-10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the layer of the warmed refried beans to each tostadas shell. Add some of the jackfruit and topped with desired toppings.