Just in time for grilling season, this recipe for Grilled BBQ Baked Beans is a summer staple.
Baked beans are one of my favorite side dishes for BBQs.
Growing up we always had baked beans anytime we grilled.
What I love about this baked bean recipe is that the beans are cooked right on the grill!
There is no need to heat up the oven on a hot day to make baked beans.
what's in the baked beans
Onion-I always like adding an onion baked beans. I think it adds so much flavor to the beans.
Jalapeno- For a little kick, I like to add a jalapeno. If you don't want the beans to be really spicy, you could use a green bell pepper instead.
White Beans-I like using all white beans, but you could also use a combination of kidney beans and white beans.
Tomato Sauce- This is the liquid that the beans will cook in.
Flavorings- I like to add brown sugar for a little sweetness. I always like to add ketchup and mustard to my baked beans. A little apple cider vinegar balances everything out.
Spices- Smoked paprika and chili powder add a little extra flavor to the baked beans.
how long will the beans last once cooked?
The cooked grilled bbq baked beans will last at least 3 days stored in an air-tight container in the fridge.
what type of pan to use
For the baked bean recipe, I love using my Lodge cast iron skillet. I have this one and it is great! It comes already pre-seasoned and I love the silicon handle. The pan can get very hot especially when cooking on the grill. Having the silicon handle works great with using the pan on the grill.
Can I make the baked beans on the stovetop?
If you don't want to grill the beans, you can follow the same directions and make the baked beans on the stovetop.
what to serve with the BBQ Baked Beans?
Vegan Beer Brats would make a delicious main dish to serve with the beans.
My recipe for Vegan Portobello Burgers that I shared last month on the blog, also would be delicious with the baked beans.
If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment or tag us on Instagram @thymeandlove. We love to see what you are making!
- 1 Tablespoon Avocado Oil
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion, diced
- 1 Jalapeno, minced
- 4- 15 ounce Cans White Beans, rinsed and drained
- 1- 15 ounce Can Tomato Sauce
- ¼ Cup Brown Sugar
- ½ Cup Ketchup
- 1 Tablespoons Yellow Mustard
- 1 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat the grill at medium-high heat.
- Place a cast iron skillet on the grill. Add the oil and once hot, add the onion and jalapeno. Cook for 4-6 minutes, or until soft.
- Add the garlic, stir; cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the beans, tomato sauce, ketchup, mustard, vinegar, chili powder and paprika; stir.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook on the grill for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!