This Butternut Squash and Kale Lo Mein with Crispy Tofu from The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook is healthy and delicious vegan entree recipe!
If you are looking for a new cookbook to add to your collection, The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook is the cookbook for you. With over 600 recipes, this book is sure to become a staple in the kitchen. Seven amazing cookbook authors teamed up to create this amazing resource for vegan recipes.
You will find a wide range of recipes in this cookbook. Everything from breakfast to dessert, with lots of options for gluten-free, sugar-free, and oil-free recipes!
I have already booked marked so many recipes to make! It was a hard decision on which recipe to make first. I ended up choosing Butternut Squash and Kale Lo Mein with Crispy Tofu by Kathy Hester. I love cooking with butternut squash this time of year, so I just had to pick this recipe.
This recipe has some of my favorite things: squash, kale, and mushrooms!
Butternut Squash and Kale Lo Mein with Crispy Tofu is such a flavorful pasta recipe. I love the sauce. It is so flavorful from the orange juice, ginger, and garlic. The lo mein is toopped with delicious crispy tofu.
This lo mein is perfect for making on a cozy fall night at home. The combination of butternut squash and kale is always a favorite during the fall season. I love love the earthiness of the mushrooms in this lo mein.
I really think that the sauce makes this recipe. It is such an unique and flavorful sauce. It takes this vegan lo mein to the next level!
There are so many great recipes to discover in The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook. This cookbook would be perfect for someone is a new vegan and needs one book that offers a wide range of recipes. This book is perfect for gift giving this holiday season!
- ½ (13¼-oz [375-g]) box spaghetti
- 1 (16-oz [455-g]) block organic extra-firm tofu, cut into small rectangles
- 2 tbsp (20 g) plus 2 tsp(6g) organic cornstarch or all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) avocado oil or other vegetable oil
- 1 cup (235ml) vegetable broth or water, plus 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- ½ cup (120ml) orange juice
- ¼ cup (60ml) low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp (30ml) rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp (12 g) grated fresh ginger
- 2 tsp (6g) minced fresh garlic
- ¼ cup (38g) minced onion
- 1 (8-oz [225-g]) package mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (10-oz [285-g]) package butternut squash, fresh or frozen, cut into cubes (about 2 cups[280 g])
- 2 cups (130g) packed chopped kale, fresh or frozen
- Preheat the oven 250°F (121°C). You will use this to keep the tofu warm later in the recipe.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- Place the tofu and 2 tablespoons (20g) of the cornstarch in a large bowl; toss to coat well. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add the tofu in a single layer. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes or until one side is golden brown; turn the tofu. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for 5 minutes or until the other side is golden brown. Drain the tofu on a paper towel–lined plate. Transfer to a baking sheet; place in the oven to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl or large measuring cup, whisk together the broth, orange juice, soy sauce, vinegar, ginger and garlic; set aside.
- Add the onion to the skillet that was used for the tofu.Cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add your mushrooms, cooking 5to7 minutes more, or until they cook down and release their juices. Stir occasionally. Reserve ¼cup (60ml) of the sauce mixture. Add the remaining sauce mixture to the skillet, and then stir in the
- squash. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Whisk the remaining 2 teaspoons (6g) cornstarch into the reserved ¼cup 60ml) sauce. Add to the skillet along with the kale. (Other greens such as collards or spinach can be substituted for the kale.) Stir thoroughly to mix in the cornstarch. Increase the heat to medium-high and cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until the sauce thickens.Then remove it from the heat.
- Add the pasta and toss to coat. Divide the pasta- vegetable mixture among 4 bowls. Top with crispy tofu.