Brown and Wild Rice Chestnut Stuffing is an easy stuffing that is perfect for the holidays!
This Brown and Wild Rice Chestnut Stuffing is the perfect side dish to your holiday meal. It is so easy to make and can be made ahead of time!
It is naturally vegan and gluten-free. I love having a few gluten-free options during the holidays.
The base of the stuffing is a brown and wild rice mixture. I love the combination of brown and wild rice together. For added flavor, I like to cook the rice with vegetable broth.
This was actually my first time cooking with chestnuts. I bought chestnuts that were already roasted and peeled. Check your local grocery store to see if they carry roasted chestnuts. You can also buy them online! It is such a time saver!
Roasted chestnuts add such a nice texture to this vegan stuffing.
I love adding fresh herbs whenever I can, especially during the holidays. Fresh thyme and sage elevate this simple stuffing.
While the rice is cooking, I like to chop up all the veggies. This Brown and Wild Rice Chestnut Stuffing can be made ahead of time too! It even taste better the next day.
This stuffing is perfect for anyone with dietary needs coming to your holiday dinner!
- 1 Cup Dry Brown and Wild Rice Blend
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Yellow Onion, diced
- 1 Cup Celery, thinly sliced
- 1 Cup Carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Sage, finely chopped
- 2 Tsp Freshly Thyme, chopped
- 1/2 Cup Dry White Wine
- 1 Cup Roasted Chestnuts, chopped
- 1/3 Cup Dried Cranberries
- 3/4 Tsp Salt, or to taste
- 1/4 Tsp Black Pepper
- Cook the brown and wild rice blend according to the package instructions. For added flavor, use vegetable stock.
- While the rice cooks, chop up all the veggies.
- Once the rice is cooked. heat the olive oil over medium high heat in a large deep sided skillet.
- Add the onion, celery, and carrots. Cook until softened, about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic, sage, thyme and chestnuts; stir, cook for an additional minute.
- Deglaze the pan with the white wine; cook until most of the wine has evaporated.
- Add in the cooked rice and cranberries. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook until the rice is heated through.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if needed