It's easy to make vegan meatball subs at home using store-bought vegan vegetables and a simple marinara sauce.
These vegan meatball sandwiches are a delicious, plant-based sandwich perfect for a weeknight family dinner or game day.
It’s really easy to make a vegan version of this classic Italian-American sandwich at home.
What makes this meatball sandwich easy to make at home is using store-bought plant-based meatballs.
I really love the Beyond Meatballs. They are so good if you haven't tried them yet. The meatballs from Beyond Meat are probably my favorite product from Beyond Meat.
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE VEGAN MEATBALL SUB
- Vegan Meatballs- I like to use Beyond Meatballs
- Olive Oil -To brown the vegan meatballs, I like to use olive oil
- Crushed Tomatoes- to make an easy homemade sauce, crushed tomatoes are used for the tomato sauce base
- Garlic- Lots of fresh garlic is added to the sauce
- Spices- For a little extra flavor, I like to use dried basil and crushed red pepper flakes for a touch of heat
- Vegan Cheese- The vegan meatball subs get topped with shredded dairy-free mozzarella
- Italian Subs- For the sandwich bread I like to use Italian sub rolls.
- Fresh Herbs- I like to garnish that subs with fresh herbs like chopped parsley or basil.
If you have a homemade vegan meatball recipe that you love, feel free to use that in place of store-bought meatballs.
how to make the subs
First the vegan meatballs get browned in a large, deep skillet or dutch oven. You want to use a pot that you can cook the sauce in as well.
Once the meatballs have browned, transfer them to a plate and set aside.
Now, make the simple tomato marinara sauce. Add the minced garlic and spices and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant. The aroma of the garlic will smell dreamy.
Pour in the canned of crushed tomatoes and cook for about 10-15 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
Add in the browned meatballs and cook for 5-10 minutes.
Assemble the subs. Add some of the marinara sauce and 3 to 4 meatballs to each sub roll and top with vegan mozzarella cheese.
Place the meatballs subs on a cookie sheet and broil the sandwiches just until the cheese is melted.
Garnish with fresh herbs and serve immediately.
If you a looking for a hearty, filling sandwich recipe, give this Vegan Meatball Sub a try!
- 1 ½ Tablespoons Avocado Oil
- 1 -Package Vegan Beyond Meatballs, or your favorite Vegan Meatball recipe. You'll need 12 meatballs
- 4 Large Garlic Cloves, minced
- ½ Tsp Dried Basil
- Pinch Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 28 ounce Can Crushed Tomatoes
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Pinch of sugar, about ⅛ of a teaspoon
- ½ Cup Shredded Vegan Mozzarella Cheese
- 4 Italian sandwich Rolls
- In a large dutch oven heat the oil over medium-high heat. Brown the vegan meatballs until browned on each side. It'll just take a few minutes on each side.
- Once browned on eachside, transfer the meatballs to a plate and set side.
- Lower the heat to medium and add the minced garlic, basil and red pepper flakes; stir cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Pour in the crushed tomatoes, salt, pepper and pinch of sugar.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer; reduce heat to low and cover. Cook 10-15 minutes.
- Add the browned meatballs back into the sauce. Simmer 5-10 minutes.
- Once the sauce has thickened. assemble the sandwiches. Add 3-4 meatballs onto each sandwich roll. Then top each roll with some of the marinara sauce.
- Next add some of the shredded vegan cheese to each of the subs.
- Place under subs under broiler to melt cheese. Top with shredded basil or chopped parsley.