This Vegan Hummus BLT Sandwich is a healthy and gluten-free sandwich!
This month has been very hectic with the holidays. From holiday shopping, baking batches of Christmas cookies and holiday parties, it has been a busy month!
When life gets busy and crazy, I try and take a few moments to myself to make a healthy lunch. It seems that when I’m super busy, I tend to skip lunch or grab something that might not be as healthy. This holiday season, I created a few healthy lunch recipes that are quick and easy to prepare.
One of my favorite healthy lunch recipe is this Vegan Hummus BLT Sandwich. It is one of my new favorite sandwiches!
It is really hard to find a gluten-free bread that is also vegan. Many gluten-free breads on the market have eggs. The products from Little Northern Bakehouse are Non-GMO Project verified, made from whole-food ingredients, and many of the products are plant-based and vegan!
All of the Little Northern Bakehouse products can be found in the freezer section of the grocery store. If you aren’t sure if you’re store carries their products, you can use their online store finder!
For this Vegan Hummus BLT Sandwich, we start with two slices of toasted Little Northern Bakehouse bread. I used slices the millet and chia loaf. I just can’t get over the texture of this healthier gluten-free bread!
The each slice of toasted bread gets a layer of hummus. To make this a lighter sandwich, hummus is used in place fo the mayo. I really love using hummus instead of mayo in this vegan BLT. Feel free to use your favorite store-bough hummus or homemade.
Lettuce and sliced tomatoes go next.
And finally, it is time for the vegan bacon!
To keep this BLT vegan, we are using tempeh bacon. Homemade tempeh bacon is really easy to make. You can also make this ahead of time. When purchasing your tempeh, be sure that is is gluten-free. There are a few brands that have wheat in them.
I love how easy this sandwich is to make. It is the perfect sandwich to enjoy while craving out a little me time this holiday season!
- 1 8 ounce package Tempeh, make sure it's GF!
- ¾ Cup Vegetable Broth
- 1 Tablespoon Tamari
- 1 Tablespoon Pure Maple Syrup
- 1 Tsp Liquid Smoke
- 1 Tablespoon Avocado Oil
- 2 Slices of Little Norther Bakehouse Bread, toasted
- 2 Tablespoons Hummus
- Tomatoes, sliced
- A few slices of tempeh bacon
- Thinly slice the tempeh widthwise into roughly ¼ inch slices.
- In a shallow dish, combine the vegetable broth, tamari, maple syrup, and liquid smoke.
- Add the sliced tempeh to the marinade and let sit for 1 hour.
- Heat a large pan over medium high heat. Add the oil and pan-fry the tempeh, about 7-9 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Transfer to a plate and let cool.
- Add one tablespoon of hummus to each slice of toasted bread.
- One one of the slices, place the lettuce, tomatoes, and a few slices of tempeh bacon.
- Top the the other slice of bread.
- Serve and enjoy!
Disclaimer: I received product from Little Northern Bakehouse, but as always all opinions are my own.