Slow Cooker Chickpea Cacciatore with Potatoes from The Vegan Slow Cooker is a delicious plant-based meal that the whole family with love.
I adore my slow cooker. The slow cooker is a great way to prepare dinner when you are short on time. If you are in need of some vegan slow cooker recipe ideas, I have just the book for you. The Vegan Slow Cooker by Kathy Hester is filled with unique vegan recipes designed to be made in the slow cooker.
The revised and expanded edition of The Vegan Slow Cooker features 160 recipes that use fresh ingredients and are packed full of flavor. There are also recipes that are gluten-free, soy free, and no oil added.
It was hard deciding which recipe from The Vegan Slow Cooker to share with you! I decided on making the Slow Cooker Chickpea Cacciatore with Potatoes because it sounded perfect for a cozy winter meal!
Cacciatore means "hunter" in Italian. In Italian cuisine, cacciatora refers to a meal that has been prepared "hunter-style" with onions, herbs, tomatoes, often bell peppers, and wine. This vegan cacciatora has the same "hunter-style" sauce, just minus the meat. This plant-based stew is filled with vegetables.
Chickpeas are added for some plant-based protein! I love using chickpeas in stews, especially Italian inspired recipes.
As this Slow Cooker Chickpea Cacciatore with Potatoes simmers away, the house was filled with this amazing aroma. I knew that this Slow Cooker Chickpea Cacciatore with Potatoes was going to be good just from the aroma!
The potatoes and chickpeas really make this slow cooker meal very filling and satisfying. This recipe is also oil-free!
I am really looking forward to making other recipes from The Vegan Slow Cooker.
- 1bag (24 ounces, or 680 g) baby potatoes, quartered
- 2 cans (15 ounces, or 425 g each) chickpeas, drained (save liquid to use as aquafaba in other recipes)
- 1 pound (504 g) mushrooms, sliced (can use all white, baby bella, or a combo)
- 2 cups (300 g) chopped bell pepper (use multiple colors if you can)
- 3 carrots, cut into coins
- 1 can (28 ounces, or 784 g) crushed tomatoes
- ¼ cup (60 ml) red wine (or 2 tablespoons [30 ml] balsamic vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground rosemary
- ½cup (50 g) pitted black olives (optional)
- the night before: Cut up the veggies. Add veggies and drained chickpeas to a sealable container, and mix. You can mix all the sauce ingredients together now, or wait until morning. Store everything in the fridge. In the morning: Mix the sauce and veggie-chickpea mixture together in your slow cooker. Cook on low 7 to 9 hours.Garnish with pitted black olives, if desired.
Reprinted from The Vegan Slow Cooker, Revised and Expanded By Kathy Hester, published by Fair Winds Press
Disclaimer: I received a copy of The Vegan Slow Cooker in exchange for my review. As always as opinions are my own.