Hearty, comforting Rigatoni with Vegan Meatballs is perfect for a cozy dinner at home.
Oh my goodness! I’m so excited to share this rigatoni with meatballs recipe with you.
I love rigatoni pasta dishes so much. I have a feeling you do to because my recipe for Mushroom and Eggplant Rigatoni is one of my most popular recipes on the blog!
To keep things fairly easy, I am using Beyond Meatballs. Have you tried them? I’m a big fan of Beyond Meat and their meatballs are probably my favorite product.
where can you find Beyond Meatballs?
I buy mine at my local Whole Foods. They are located in the freezer section.
The day before you plan on making this recipe for pasta with meatballs, make sure to take the meatballs out of the freezer and place in the fridge.
Can I use another vegan meatball?
If you are unable to find the Beyond Meatballs, you can use your favorite frozen vegan meatball like Gardein and Trader Joe’s. I would just skip the searing step and no need to thaw them in advance.
how to make the pasta sauce:
The sauce starts with searing the Beyond Meatballs until lightly browned. Transfer the meatballs to a plate and set aside. They’ll be added in back in later.
Next, saute the onion until soft; then fresh garlic is added.
Next deglaze the pot with some dry red wine, scraping up any brown bits at the bottom of the pan.
what if you don’t drink alochol?
You can leave the wine out. Simply skip this step in the recipe.
After deglazing the pot, it’s time to add the tomatoes. I like to use a combination of canned crushed tomatoes and diced tomatoes.
Since the sauce uses canned tomatoes, you can make the pasta sauce year-round!
Finally it’s time to add in our seared meatballs.
Let the sauce simmer for about 45 minutes.
After the sauce is almost done simmering, cooking the pasta according to the package inscrcutions.
Once the pasta is done cooking, drain the pasta and add it the pot with the meatball pasta sauce.
Serve with some vegan parmesan cheese and chopped fresh parsley.
If you give this Rigatoni with Vegan Meatballs a try, be sure to let us know how you liked it in the comments!
- 1 Package Vegan Beyond Meatballs
- 1 Tablespoon Avocado Oil
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion, diced
- 3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1/2 Cup Dry Red Wine
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 Tsp Cane Sugar
- 1 28 ounce Can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 28 ounce Can Diced Tomatoes
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Parsley Chopped
- 1 Pound Rigatoni Pasta
- Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- Chopped Parsley
- The day before you want to make the recipe, place the frozen Beyond Meat in the fridge to thaw.
- In a large dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Once hot, place the thawed meatballs into the pot. Sear until lightly browned on both sides, about 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Once seared on both sides, transfer the meatballs to a plate; set aside.
- Add the onion to the same pot and cook until soft, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add the garlic, stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in the red wine, making sure to scrap up any of the brown bits at the bottom of the pan.
- Let the wine reduce for a few minutes.
- Pour in the crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, salt and pepper, and sugar; stir.
- Add the meatballs back in. Bring to a simmer. Once simmering, reduce heat to low and cover.
- Cook for 45 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed. Add in the chopped parsley.
- After the sauce has been cooking for 45 minutes, cook the pasta according the package instructions.
- Add the cooked pasta into the sauce and stir.
- Serve the pasta with vegan parmesan and chopped parsley.
Cooking time doesn't include the time for thawing the meatballs.