This Potato and Cabbage Soup is a hearty vegan soup recipe that is perfect for the colder months.
I am really excited to finally be sharing this recipe for Potato and Cabbage Soup with you! I originally intended sharing this recipe last year, but the weather started to warm up. I decided to hold of until the weather got colder again.
Now that it is officially soup season and the weather is frigid outside, I figured that it was a good time to finally share this hearty, plant-based Potato and Cabbage Soup with you!
This soup is perfect for enjoying on cold, snowy day. It's warm, comforting and delicious.
This soup is loaded with winter vegetables. Potatoes, carrots, and green cabbage are great winter vegetables to add to soups. They are readily available and fairly inexpensive.
This Potato and Cabbage Soup is also very budget-friendly. The recipe makes a ton and even tastes better the next day.
This Potato and Cabbage Soup has a Hungarian flair to it. I love using Hungarian Paprika, coriander, and allspice together in this soup recipe. The combination of spices add depth of flavor to the soup.
I love cooking with beer. I usually have a few extra cans or bottles in the fridge. Beer adds depth of flavor to the soup. If you avoid alcohol in your diet, you can leave it out and add extra vegetable broth or water. For this recipe, I really like using a lager.
Towards the end of cooking, I like to add lots of fresh herbs. For this soup, I love the combination of dill and parsley. The herbs compliment the spices used.
Fresh lemon juice brightens up the soup. Lemon is so good with the fresh dill and parsley.
To serve the soup, I really love topping the soup with vegan sour cream. This is optional, but highly recommended!
- 1 ½ Tablespoons Avocado Oil
- 1 Large Yellow Onion, diced
- 2 Large Carrots, diced
- 2 Celery Ribs, diced
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 2 Pounds Russet Potatoes, peeled and diced into 1 inch pieces
- ½ Medium Head of Green Cabbage, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Hungarian Sweet Paprika
- ½ Tablespoon Coriander
- ½ Tsp Allspice
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 1 12 ounce can Lager Beer, room temperature
- 28 ounce can Crushed Tomatoes
- 4 Cups Vegetable Broth
- ½ Cup Fresh Dill, chopped
- ¼ Cup Fresh Parsley, chopped
- Vegan sour cream, optional
- Heat a large soup pot over medium-high heat and add the oil. Once the oil is hot, add the onion, carrots, and celery; stir. Cook 7-9 minutes, or until the vegetables start to soften.
- Once the vegetables are softened, add the garlic. Saute 1 minute, just until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the peeled and diced potatoes; stir. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the paprika, coriander, allspice, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir, making sure that all the vegetables are evenly coated with the spices.
- Add the chopped cabbage. Stir, and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Pour in the beer. Deglaze the pan.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and vegetable stock; stir.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook until the potatoes are tender; about 20-30 minutes.
- Add the fresh dill, parsley, and lemon juice.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.