Sweet and tangy BBQ sauce with a little spicy kick is perfect for all your summer BBQ plans.
When the weather starts to get warmer and we start spending more time outside, I crave Summery types of foods. BBQ sauce is pretty high up there on my list of favorite condiments for Summer cooking. Sometimes store-bought BBQ sauce can be too vinegary or too sweet.
The best part about making your own homemade BBQ sauce is that you can control it. If you prefer a sweeter sauce, add a touch more sugar. Want more of a tang add a splash more vinegar. This Maple Chipotle BBQ Sauce is a little bit sweet with a spicy kick from chipotle peppers in adobo.
Instead of a ketchup based sauce, simple tomato sauce is used for the base. Instead of using regular sugar, pure maple syrup sweetens up the sauce. For a nice spicy kick, we use canned chipotle peppers in adobo. You can add as little or as much as you would like. If you aren’t sure how spicy you want the sauce, start with 1 and you can always add more later.
You can use the sauce in of your favorite recipes that call for BBQ sauce. It also would be great slathered over baked tempeh. It would also be delicious in my Slow Cooker BBQ Jackfruit. There are just so many options for this Maple Chipotle BBQ Sauce.
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion, diced
- 1 Garlic Clove, minced
- 2 Cups Plain Tomato Sauce
- 1/2 Cup Pure Maple Syrup
- 1/4 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1-2 Chipotle Peppers in Adobo, or to taste
- 1/2 Tsp Mexican Oregano
- 1/2 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Tsp Sea Salt
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5-7 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a low simmer. Cook 20-30 minutes, or until the sauce has reduced.
- Taste and adjust seasonings. For a sweeter sauce, add in more maple syrup; for a tangier sauce add in a touch more vinegar and if you want it spicer add more chipotle peppers. Turn off the heat and let cool 5-10 minutes.
- Transfer the sauce to a blender and puree until smooth.
- Use right away or transfer to a container and store in the fridge until you are ready to use it.