Instant Pot Vegan Frijoles Borrachos—also known as drunken beans—just might become your new favorite bean recipe!
Traditionally frijoles borrachos are made with bacon, but we are keeping these beans vegan by using vegan bacon. Even if you try to stay away from vegan "meats" you'll want to make an exception for this recipe. The vegan bacon is essential. It takes basic pinto beans to the next level.
why make beans in the instant pot
If you don't have an instant pot yet, I highly recommend adding one to your cookware collection. I waited a long time to get one and I wish that I got one a lot sooner.
When you cook beans in the instant pot, you don't have to soak them. If you decide at the last minute that you want to have beans for dinner, no problem.
I love using the instant pot to cook beans because you don't have to watch the stove for 2 hours. No more waiting for the water to boil and checking in on the beans, making sure that they are simmering away.
what are frijoles borrachos
You might be wondering what exactly are frijoles borrachos aka drunken beans. They’re called this because the beans are cooked in beer. The alcohol will cook off as the beans cook. Along with the beer, pinto beans are simmered with bacon, onions, and spices.
how to make frijoles borrachos vegan
To make these drunken beans vegan, substitute vegan bacon. I really like using the vegan bacon from Sweet Earth. It has a good nice flavor profile and crisps up nicely.
how to serve frojles borrachos
You can enjoy a big bowl of frijoles borrachos on their own. The bean cooking liquid is delicious. Sometimes you just need a big bowl of beans!
I prefer to serve the beans over steamed white rice. I like to garnish the beans with chopped fresh cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice.
how to store the beans
To store the beans, simply put them in an airtight container and refrigerate for up 3 to 4 days. If not using right away, you can freeze the beans up to 3 months.
To reheat the frozen beans, first thaw them in the fridge overnight. When ready to serve, gently warm them in a saucepan on the stove.
Instant Pot Vegan Frijoles Borrachos
Pinto beans are simmered in beer and spices.
- 3 Tablespoons Avocado Oil, divided
- 1 Package Vegan Bacon, diced (I like to use Sweet Earth Bacon)
- 1 Small Yellow Onion, diced
- 1 Jalapeno, diced
- 3 Large Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 12 ounce Bottle Mexican Beer, you can use any Mexican style beer
- 5 Cups Vegetable Broth
- 1 Pound Dried Pinto Beans, rinsed and sorted
- 2 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Coriander
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- 1 Bay Leaf
- Salt and Pepper to taste
For serving, optional
- Cooked White Rice
- Chopped Cilantro
- Add two tablespoons of oil to the Instant Pot. Saute the diced vegan bacon for 4-6 minutes; occasionally stirring. Once crisp, turn of the Instant Pot, remove the vegan bacon and transfer to bowl. Set aside until needed.
- Add the last tablespoon of oil to the Instant Pot. Saute the onion, jalapeno and garlic for 4-6 minutes. Turn off the heat. Pour in the beer and deglaze the pot. making sure to scrap up any brown bits from the bacon.
- Add the reserved vegan bacon, vegetable broth, pinto beans, cumin, coriander, oregano, chili powder, and bay leaf; stir. Secure lid, turn valve to seal.
- Set to manual pressure for 45 minutes.
- Once the beans are done, let the pressure naturally release for 20 minutes.
- Hit cancel and quick release any remaining pressure by turning valve to “vent.” Remove lid
- Season the beans with salt and pepper to taste. Carefully remove the bay leaf.
Cook times doesn't include the time it takes for the Instant Pot to come to pressure.
Leave a Reply