Slightly sweet and tart, these Hibiscus Mimosas are the perfect brunch cocktail.
Switch up the traditional orange juice and champagne brunch cocktail with Hibiscus Mimosas. The tart floral hibiscus notes pairs perfectly with sparkling wine.
The Hibiscus Mimosas start by making a hibiscus simple syrup. The best part is that this simple syrup can be made days in advance; perfect for hosting a brunch at home. The simple syrup is infused with hibiscus flowers. The syrup isn’t overly sweet; just enough sugar to balance out the natural tartness of the hibiscus flowers.
Lately, I have been obsessed with hibiscus sugar rims on drinks. Dried hibiscus flowers and sugar are pulsed together until the flowers are finely ground. The hibiscus flowers add a really nice texture to the sugar.
To serve the Hibiscus Mimosas, simply moisten the rim of each glass with a lime wedge; wiggle rim in hibiscus sugar mixture to completely coat the edge of the glass. Fill each glass with the hibiscus syrup and top with champagne.
These Hibiscus Mimosas are perfect for entertaining. You’re guests will love the sweet and tart combination of hibiscus and champagne.
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 Cup Dried Hibiscus Flowers
- 1 Cup Sugar
- ¼ Cup Sugar
- ¼ Cup Dried Hibiscus Flowers
- Pinch of Salt
- Lime Wedges
- 1 ounce Hibiscus Syrup
- In a medium-sized saucepan, add the water, hibiscus flower and sugar, Bring to a boil over medium heat. Lower heat and mix occasionally, until sugar is dissolved, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool completely.
- Use a fine mesh strainer, to strain the flowers into a glass jar or large measuring up. I find it is easier to strain the liquid into a large measuring cup and then pour the mixture into an air tight bottle.
- Store in the fridge until ready to use.
- In a small food processor or spice grinder, pulse the hibiscus flower, sugar, and pinch of salt until the flowers are finely ground.
- moisten rim of each glass with a lime wedge; place the rim in hibiscus sugar mixture to coat the edge completely.
- Add 1 ounce of hibiscus syrup to a champagne flute or other fun glass.
- Top with sparkling wine. Serve immediately.