Switch up taco night with these Carrot and Parsnip Taquitos!
Taquitos are a family favorite around here. Usually I make potato tacos which are one of my favorite comfort foods.
I wanted to create a simple vegetable filling. Right now carrots and parsnips are in season and I love the combination of the two together.
Corn tortillas are stuffed with the simplest filling: shredded carrots, parsnips, and a pinch of sea salt.
There is no need to even cook the filling before filling the tortillas; making this a simple and easy recipe.
This filling is a great way to get kids or vegetable haters to eat their veggies. These Carrot and Parsnips Taquitos are also a great winter taco.
Instead of frying in tons of oil, these Carrot and Parsnip Taquitos are pan-fried in a lot less oil than typically used in traditional taquito recipes.
I love serving these taquitos with my creamy Taqueria Salsa. If you haven’t made this salsa yet, I highly recommend giving it a try.
It is so creamy and literally takes 5 minutes to make. The combination of the raw tomatillos and the carrot and parsnip filling is a wonderful combination.
My Basic Cashew Crema would also be amazing drizzles over these taquitos.
- 3 Cups Shredded Carrots
- 2 Cups Shredded Parsnips
- 1/2 Tsp Sea Salt
- 1/4 Cup Vegetable Oil, plus more if needed
- 14-16 Corn Tortillas
- Cashew Crema
- Chopped Cilantro
- Lime Wedges
- In a mixing bowl, add the shredded carrots and parsnips. Add salt. Stir to evenly combine the carrots and parsnip.
- Warm the corn tortillas either on a comal, skillet or wrapped in a towel steamed in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- Assemble the taquitos. Place a small handful of carrot on one third of the tortilla, be careful not to spread the filling all the way to the edge. Roll the tortilla tightly around the filling and secure closed with a toothpick. Repeat until you’ve got 14-16 taquitos.
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large frying pan or cast iron pan. Once the oil is hot, working in batches, place the assembled tortillas seam side down. Cook 2-3 minuntes until toasty brown, then flip and cook the other side for another 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a platter or plate.
- Continue cooking the remaining taquitos.
- Serve with your favorite salsa and crema.