Soon the weather will be warmer and we’ll be craving lighter foods and recipes that will help cool us down. Watermelon Granita is the perfect treat to make on a hot, summer day. It only requires three ingredients and it is super easy to make.
This was my first time making a granita and it was really easy. It does take an afternoon to make but most of that time is inactive. To start the granita the watermelon, lime juice, and agave nectar get blended. Then the mixture is transfered to a freezer safe dish. After the mixture has been chilling for 3 hours, you start the scrapping process using a fork. It goes back into the freezer and you repeat this process about another 2 times or until the mixture is completely frozen.
It is worth the planning ahead. Trust me on this one.
Whenever I am making a fruit based dessert or agua fresca, I always like to taste the fruit before blending. If your fruit is really sweet, you might want to add less agave nectar. Or if you find yourself with a fruit that isn’t quite ripe, add more sweetener to taste.
When the weather gets warmer, give this Watermelon Granita a try. It would be perfect served for a lighter desert at your Summer BBQ. If you do give it a try, be sure to tag us @thymeandlove on Instagram. We love seeing what you have been making!
- 8 Cups Watermelon, peeled and cubed
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Lime Juice
- 1/4 Cup Agave Nectar, or to taste
- Add half the watermelon, lime juice and agave to a blender. Blend until smooth. Transfer to a freezer safe 9 by 13 baking dish.
- Add the remaining watermelon, lime juice and agave to the blend and blend. Transfer to the baking dish. Carefully stir the mixture.
- Place the baking dish into the freezer and freeze for 3 hours. Remove the pan and begin the scrapping process. Use a fork to scrape the top frozen layer. Return the pan back into the freezer with the scrape ice on top. After another 2 hours, remove the pan and scrape the mixture again. Transfer back into the freezer for another 2-3 hours until the watermelon is completely frozen and the whole mixture has been shaved.
- Keep the mixture in the freezer until ready to serve. Cover with plastic wrap.