Vegan Chocolate Peppermint Cookies topped with crushed candy canes are perfect for the holidays!
It is hard to believe that Christmas is almost here! I feel like this month is just flying by and I still have to do some last minute shopping. This past week, I have been busy in the kitchen baking up lots of holiday cookies, including these Vegan Chocolate Peppermint Cookies.
These Vegan Chocolate Peppermint Cookies are my new favorite cookie. These rich chocolate cookies are perfect for the holiday baking season.
These cookies have double the chocolate. The more chocolate, the better right?! The recipe uses both cocoa powder and chocolate chips. I like the addition of chocolate chips to the batter. It just adds an extra pop of chocolate flavor.
Vegan Chocolate Peppermint Cookies are chewy, rich and delicious. The cookies also have this fudge like quality to them which I just love.
To make these chocolate cookies festive, peppermint extra is added to the batter. I really love baking with peppermint extract. It is a staple in my kitchen during the holidays!
For an extra festive touch, the cookies are topped with crushed candy canes before going in the oven to bake.
I have already baked up a few batches of these Vegan Chocolate Peppermint Cookies. The cookies are so easy to make too!
If you love the combination of chocolate and peppermint, you are going to love these Christmas cookies!
- 1/2 cup avocado oil
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
- crushed up candy canes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease two rimmed baking sheets.
- In a large bowl, cream together the oil and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the applesauce and milk and mix gently. Mix in the peppermint and vanilla extract.
- Add 1 cup of the flour, along with the cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt and mix well. Add the remaining 1 cup flour and mix until it firms up.
- Fold in the chocolate chips
- Place twelve 1½-2 tablespoon scoops of dough on each baking sheet, a few inches apart; the cookies will spread a little bit. Flatten the cookies slightly with your hand.
- Place a tiny bit of crushed candy cane in the center of each and gently press into the surface.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Pin this image for future reference!